Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been shopping around for low insurance rates and found out something interesting. My vehicle is a 2016 90D but when companies run my VIN number it comes up as a 70D. This is great for insurance rate purposes but, I concerned that if my car is lost or totaled, will the insurance replace it with the 90D I purchased or, a 70D as it comes up in their search.

I know that some VIN's used to show up as "P"eformance models which raised the rate but mine shows as a 70D.

Anyone have a similar situation with their vehicle? Will it affect my replacement value/payout?

Last edited:
I've been checking around and have noticed several insurance companies have now grouped 70D & 90D (non performance). On all the quotes it says "70D/90D".

Double check, but it might still be the same price.

Thanks Erik

There are other threads about insurors misreading vins and other problems. Mine came back a s90 when it is a 60. The quote was the same for both cars even though there is $25,000 difference in car price. P models are a different case.

I've been checking around and have noticed several insurance companies have now grouped 70D & 90D (non performance). On all the quotes it says "70D/90D".

Double check, but it might still be the same price.

Thanks Erik
My quote was for a 70D but the "non-performing" angle makes sense. One company did ask me for the purchase price. Any other thoughts especially on how insurance companies gage replacement cost?

Same issue here. Checking on upgrading to the car with the new sensors if it makes financial sense, and all the places I went for appraisals seemed to think I was pulling a fast one on them since their VIN decoders showed the car as a 70D. I do notice in the center screen Tesla page that there is a 70D performance option in the dropdown. I called my sales advisor and he assured me the car comes up as a 90D in his (Tesla company) system, and I know for sure the car has the 90D battery, so I'm certain all these places are using the same commercially available but flawed VIN decoding tool. I was also assured that upgrading from a 70 to a 90 in the factory is not something that happens; The cars begin their life as 90D vehicles.

The VIN doesn't contain the battery size. It only contains the single vs dual motor and p vs non p information. There's no way to determine the battery size from just the VIN unless they check the options delivered on that vehicle directly with tesla.

I had to fax my vehicle purchase sheet which showed the options as well as the model/battery of the car which was a S60 and not a S75 as the insurance company thought based on the VIN. I think this is a typical issue and is cleared up by faxing the doc (it has a fancy name but it doesn't come to me at the moment)...