Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance & Wall Connector questions from a Newbie

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check Costco Sponsored Vehicle Insurance {Connect} They seem to be the cheapest policy I could obtain in California. I am not familiar with your current charging device but Tesla will deliver your car with a SAE J1772 adapter which is all you will need if your current device uses this format.

Connector typeType 1 (J1772)
Maximum current40Amps | 9.6kW
ColourMatte Black
DC Leakage protection IncludedNo
Input voltageNEMA 14-50 or Hardwired
Dimensions7.8"x7.9"x3.9"
Charger status informationWallbox App, myWallbox Portal
Cable length25'
I Just confirmed your current wall charger is a Type 1 SAE J1772 connector You will be fine with this device. Good Luck Enjoy your new Tesla

this is the only difference from your current wall chargers vs the Tesla Wall Charger. Your current charger Max output is rated at 40 amps and 9.6KW charging the model Y at a rate of 37 miles per hour. If your installing a Tesla Wall Charger you are capable of installing it with 60 double breaker giving you Maximum output of 48 amps at 11.4 KW charging the model Y at a rate of 44 miles per hour. Using a 60 amp breaker is only possible if your current electrical panel can handle the additional load. Disclaimer I am not an Electrician this infor is from my personal knowledge and experience for your Educational purposes only.....

Circuit breaker
(amps)
Maximum output
(amps)
Power at 240 volts
(kilowatt)
Model S
(mph)
Model 3†
(mph)
Model X
(mph)
Model Y
(mph)
604811.5 kW41443544
50409.6 kW34372937

Check Costco Sponsored Vehicle Insurance {Connect} They seem to be the cheapest policy I could obtain in California. I am not familiar with your current charging device but Tesla will deliver your car with a SAE J1772 adapter which is all you will need if your current device uses this format.
What's typical insurance cost for MYLR at connect?

One thing I'm curious about when using J1772, do you have to go in the app and unlock the charge port every time?
As previously noted you can release the charging cable and the J1772 adapter from the Tesla Model Y's charging port when you depress the trigger button on the J1772 charging connector. (Press and then immediately release the trigger, then pull on the J1772 connector and the J1772 adapter will come out of the Tesla Model Y's charge port while still attached to the J1772 charging connector. (Some people struggle with this step because they press and hold the trigger button on the J1772 charging connector. When you do so, unless you use both hands (one hand on the adapter) the J1772 adapter will remain in the Tesla Model Y's charging port after you remove the J1772 charging connector. Then the charge port cover will attempt to close but will hit the J1772 adapter. Should this happen no harm will be done to the charge port cover (at least not in the short term.)

You do need to wake up the Tesla Model Y vehicle if it is in sleep mode before the charge port cover will open. To wake up the Tesla Model Y you can use the Tesla app or open any door of the Tesla Model Y. If you install the Wall Connector pressing the button on the charging connector will wake up the Tesla Model Y from sleep mode and open the charge port cover.

• Informative
Reactions: flgatorfan
Ordered MYLR last night -- White/White -- EDD = Jan-March
Two questions:
1) What does Tesla charge for auto insurance? Is it competitive?
2) I already have a Wallbox Pulsar Plus EV Charger. Do I need to buy the Tesla brand wall connector? Or will I just need to get an T
You can use any universal EV charger and use the adapter to charge. The charger adapter will be delivered in the trunk next to your license plate holder. Just order and extra adapter or spare for your garage and leave one in the car.

Tesla insurance is only available in certain states. I’m in NJ and I use AAA for insurance, Geico wanted $1,600 for 6 months, I pay $1200 for the year with AAA 100/250.