TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Insurance when you pick up from Tilburg yourself

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Mario Kadastik, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Mario Kadastik

Mario Kadastik Active Member

I'm not from Tesla core market country so will have to pick up my car from Tilburg or organize that it gets delivered to me. I could take the option of getting it delivered, but I'd miss out then on being able to do a check on the car before accepting it and having something pop up that might need service and as there is no service center in my home country I'd have to travel abroad again for it. So I'd really like to pick it up and then take it on a long journey home.

However the big thing is that the local insurers here only give insurance for cars that have estonian license plates. That however is a chicken and egg problem then as I need the car here before I can go and pick it up :) So now that I've read a few stories of people taking the roadtrip from Tilburg to their home, how did you manage insurance? I guess you got temporary license plates form Netherlands and then drove home to register the car etc, but what of the insurance?

2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

The trap is obvious: you want to see before you buy, but you can't get plates until you buy. I'd ask insurers about getting insurance for "transit". That is, you will have a car you are driving from Tilburg to Estonia, stopping only for rest. How much to cover that journey. I can't believe there aren't many other people who've bought and driven in a car.

3. Mario Kadastik

Mario Kadastik Active Member

I have asked and none will provide insurance for transit i.e. non-permanent number plates. So one option is that once the car finishes I get all the paperwork DHL-d over here, go to registrar and register the car (as I probably am first to order an S85 in said config I'll need to get the type certified so ~1-2 weeks) after which I should get number plates and should be eligible for ordinary insurance. But I need to check that.