Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance with FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if you add FSD after purchase and don't notify your insurance carrier and the car gets totaled I assume you lose that $10K?

That’s my understanding. FSD adds value to your vehicle. If the insurance company uses $54,000 as the cost basis of your vehicle and you have an accident where it’s totaled that would be the amount they use to determine your payout (minus depreciation). If you add $10,000 to the value by purchasing FSD your vehicles value just increased by $10,000 and if your car was totaled you would recoup some or most of that again minus depreciation. I would call them and inquire. It can’t hurt to ask. I thought the $63 extra per year was worth it.

Reactions: Barrygold
why would you guys call your insurance company just by adding an option on the car? If you are worried about overall value - after it gets tottaled or stolen then produce the receipts.
I had a MP3 with FSD. They increased my payoff value by $7k once I reminded them of the FSD software after the car was totaled. They went to Tesla for the build specs.

producing the receipts after the fact won’t work. At least not with progressive or Allstate. The insurance company and you as the customer have to agree to the value of “added accessories” before the accident. In my case Allstate classified the FSD as an added accessory and I sent them the receipt.

This goes for insuring PPF and aftermarket wheels, stereos etc. the insurance company needs the receipts beforehand and will raise your rates accordingly.

To my understanding, insurance will only compensate you for FSD if it’s included in your original Tesla purchase order or you notify your insurance once it’s added on.

I’m not rolling the dice on the added $8k.

Last edited:
I ended up calling AAA (my insurer) and after several calls back and forth they said they would not cover FSD if it was not purchased with the vehicle. I tried to explain that it should really not be treated any differently than a stereo upgrade as long as I call them up and send them a receipt and pay the difference in insurance, it should be accepted, the answer was NO! If the FSD is not included in the VIN number they will not cover it should the car be totaled.

I ended up calling AAA (my insurer) and after several calls back and forth they said they would not cover FSD if it was not purchased with the vehicle. I tried to explain that it should really not be treated any differently than a stereo upgrade as long as I call them up and send them a receipt and pay the difference in insurance, it should be accepted, the answer was NO! If the FSD is not included in the VIN number they will not cover it should the car be totaled.

you may want to try later with another employee or shop around with other companies. Allstate said they never had the issue come up before and it took them a day to figure it out.

you may want to try later with another employee or shop around with other companies. Allstate said they never had the issue come up before and it took them a day to figure it out.

Definately get another company

Definitely get a different company ASAP....

Is the FSD is specified in the VIN? My thinking is the only thing they can rely on is the purchase price of the vehicle that you provide when getting insurance.

There is always the possibility to cancel the insurance contract and negotiate a new one, if necessary with another insurance company.

It’s worth looking into it. I didn’t think $63 a year more seemed bad for peace of mind to have FSD covered if the car was totalled.
I've always found NJM rates to be pretty decent. My daughter for example uses progressive and pays more for her honda accord and ford explorer than I do for the Outback, Camry Hybrid, and Tesla. Her cars are around 6-7 years old vs my Outback the same and 2019 & 2020 for the other two. She is 40 and her husband older so no age penalty. And they live about 3 miles away in the same town. Both of us are paying a something over $2k. When my other daughter spirits away the outback mine will drop around 700. I was surprised that the MY was only about 20-30 more than the Camry which I think is less than a 100 more than the older Outback.