Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance with New Condo EV Charger Law FS 718.113 (8)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Group,

Working through the new law which allows me to install a charger in my deeded parking spot: FS 718.113 (8).

Currently providing my Association the required expensive documents, including electrical drawings, permit applications and lawyer reviews of the applicability of the law, to name a few.

My condo walls-in insurance with Universal Property and Casualty also covers the common area deeded parking spot but not according to the requirements of the law specifically:

4. Provide a certificate of insurance naming the association as an additional insured on the owner’s insurance policy for any claim related to the installation, maintenance, or use of the electric vehicle charging station within 14 days after receiving the association’s approval to install such charging station.

and related...

5. Reimburse the association for the actual cost of any increased insurance premium amount attributable to the electric vehicle charging station within 14 days after receiving the association’s insurance premium invoice.​
The insurance company has declined to provide an additional rider for 4.

So I am currently looking for a separate insurance policy.

Anyone gotten to this point in using the law the install a charger or outlet in your parking spot? Any insurance referrals?

Located in Broward County.

I had a similar situation four years ago with my condominium in Coral Gables. In the end the Board did not require separate insurance, although all those other items were required. This preceded the ostensibly favorable law that actually codified some large penalties, if the Boards chose them. Your Board can waive any or all of those should they choose to do so.

The easiest way around all those is to use a third party such as EverCharge or ChargePoint. They do charge a monthly fee, but eliminating all the bureaucracy was worth it for me. The worst thing is the costs you'll end out paying to place a charging device in your own spot. You're lucky it is deeded! That is far easier than if it were not.

• Informative
Reactions: Larry Chanin
Have received quotes from Evercharge and ChargePoint previously for a shared charging solution for the entire Condo complex. ChargePoint had a very elegant solution but extremely expensive. Evercharge had a more affordable solution but ridiculous cost per KWh.

Yes, each would provide third party insurance solution for an individual parking spot.

Due to outdoor limitations of the deeded parking spot and bringing power to the spot, I have opted to install only a 110v/20 amp outlet/receptacle. Hardly a high power charger. Hoping that will reduce insurance issues.