Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance with registration plate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

With my delivery date fast approaching, am starting to finalise the insurance.
Called Tesla and no reg plate assigned yet, say it may be 2 weeks prior.
How are others getting insurance sorted? I heard the best deals are about 3 weeks before insurance starts but I can't pay and lock in the quotes without a registration number?

Any advice appreciated.
Cheers.

I have my 72 Reg Plate... Confirmed on 11th Aug (About 2 weeks after I could select my collection date 27th July), Collection is set for 2nd Sept

If you don't have a firm collection date I don't think you get it yet

Also I'm buy direct with Tesla, via something like a lease company maybe different

Get quotes without a reg 21 days prior to collection. Once you get your reg, you can go back into one of your saved quotes, enter the reg and pay up.
This is the answer - cheapest time to get insurance. I did exactly this with flow (subsidiary of LV) after getting a really low quote through comparison sites, then just put the reg number in on buying the policy yesterday.

Thanks for all the helpful posts, I'm 3.5 weeks away from confirmed delivery date and Tesla CS have today texted me my reg number so all good, will be quoting and purchasing insurance in the next few days.