TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Insurance

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by robertdesarbo, Jun 22, 2018.

1. robertdesarbo

robertdesarbo Member

Anyone buy insurance yet? I got my VIN and got a quote from statefarm. It was over $2,000 a year! I just realized they quoted me for a Model S P100D which would explain why it was so expensive

It got me wondering what would be an acceptable quote. How much more/less is everyone paying?

Thanks

2. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

While the S is indeed obnoxious, when we insured our 3, it was comparable to most other vehicles.

• Like x 1
  3. Padresfreak01

Padresfreak01 Member

I got a quote for $30 more per month with the 3 vs a 2007 Honda Civic. It was geico.

• Like x 2
  4. robertdesarbo

robertdesarbo Member

OK yeah I am looking at $30 per month more with the revised quote ( current car is ~8 years old ).

5. GatorAdam

GatorAdam Member

I just quoted mine (using the VIN) and it was $30 more a month than my 10 year old prius. Same coverage (plus GAP insurance).

• Like x 2
  6. TT97

TT97 Active Member

I have State Farm as well. The insurance on the 3 is a few dollars less than I was paying for old MB C300.

When I started my insurance in May, they still had trouble identifying the 3 (I don't think it is on their main system yet). They kept asking me if the 4th digit on the VIN was an S or an X.

• Informative x 1
  7. robertdesarbo

robertdesarbo Member

Yeah she said the VIN was pulling the Model S P100D, which I would have been OK paying insurance for if I actually got that for the Model 3 price :).

I looked up the VIN and sure enough it was listed as Model 3 on NHTSA

8. TT97

TT97 Active Member

The 4th
    Tesla uses the 4th digit in the VIN identifies the model - R, S, X or 3.

VIN Decoder | TeslaTap

9. GoodOmens

GoodOmens Member

I'm still waiting but plugged in a Model 3 vin to see what it would be - about $900/year to add it to my insurance as a second car (as we are going from 1 to 2 cars) - not bad, specially for an expensive area for DC.

10. Dana1

Dana1 Supporting Member

My model 3 is $260 less annually than a BMW X6 with USAA. If they quoted $2K annually for a $100K car that strikes me as fairly inexpensive.

11. sundaymorning

sundaymorning Active Member

Try Geico. It’s much more reasonable that Farmers but not sure about State Farm rates.

12. tivoboy

tivoboy Member

The quote on my Model 3 was oddly only about 30$ more every six months than the 2008 smart fortwo I was insuring on that policy. About 500$ every six months.

13. Quickstart88

Quickstart88 Member

I don't like Geico. The jack the price up after a year. I been shopping for quote. So far Ameriprise is the best. Does anyone know of a better option.

14. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Curious.

So for Roadster 2.0 they’ll use W for (Proper) Weapon?

And for the pick up truck, K for F350 Killer?

That leaves the Semi... Hmmm. M for Mad Max Mode? B for BFT(ruck)?

Meanwhile for the OP, consider quotes also from:

Wawanesa

Costco Ameriprise if multiple vehicles

Progressive if you want gap insurance and CSL (Combined Single Limit) coverage.

Travelers

15. Quickstart88

Quickstart88 Member

Wawanesa don't even have Model 3 in their on line quote. I'll call tomorrow. Heard they are good.
    Ameriprise is okay. ~ 5K per year. That's because of 3 multiple cars and 3 driver with clean record. One young driver.

progressive : They want 6k per year. Don't know about Gap insurance.
    State farm : ~6k per yr.
    Liberty Mutual: ~ 6 K per yr
    I am not doing Geico. Great for 1st yr. Warren Buffet will jack the price next yr.