Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone buy insurance yet? I got my VIN and got a quote from statefarm. It was over $2,000 a year! I just realized they quoted me for a Model S P100D which would explain why it was so expensive

It got me wondering what would be an acceptable quote. How much more/less is everyone paying?

Thanks

I have State Farm as well. The insurance on the 3 is a few dollars less than I was paying for old MB C300.

When I started my insurance in May, they still had trouble identifying the 3 (I don't think it is on their main system yet). They kept asking me if the 4th digit on the VIN was an S or an X.

• Informative
Reactions: robertdesarbo
I have State Farm as well. The insurance on the 3 is a few dollars less than I was paying for old MB C300.

When I started my insurance in May, they still had trouble identifying the 3 (I don't think it is on their main system yet). They kept asking me if the 4th digit on the VIN was an S or an X.

Yeah she said the VIN was pulling the Model S P100D, which I would have been OK paying insurance for if I actually got that for the Model 3 price :).

I looked up the VIN and sure enough it was listed as Model 3 on NHTSA

Anyone buy insurance yet? I got my VIN and got a quote from statefarm. It was over $2,000 a year! I just realized they quoted me for a Model S P100D which would explain why it was so expensive

It got me wondering what would be an acceptable quote. How much more/less is everyone paying?

Thanks

Try Geico. It’s much more reasonable that Farmers but not sure about State Farm rates.

Tesla uses the 4th digit in the VIN identifies the model - R, S, X or 3.

Curious.

So for Roadster 2.0 they’ll use W for (Proper) Weapon?

And for the pick up truck, K for F350 Killer?

That leaves the Semi... Hmmm. M for Mad Max Mode? B for BFT(ruck)?

Meanwhile for the OP, consider quotes also from:

Wawanesa

Costco Ameriprise if multiple vehicles

Progressive if you want gap insurance and CSL (Combined Single Limit) coverage.

Travelers

Curious.

So for Roadster 2.0 they’ll use W for (Proper) Weapon?

And for the pick up truck, K for F350 Killer?

That leaves the Semi... Hmmm. M for Mad Max Mode? B for BFT(ruck)?

Meanwhile for the OP, consider quotes also from:

Wawanesa

Costco Ameriprise if multiple vehicles

Progressive if you want gap insurance and CSL (Combined Single Limit) coverage.

Travelers

Wawanesa don't even have Model 3 in their on line quote. I'll call tomorrow. Heard they are good.
Ameriprise is okay. ~ 5K per year. That's because of 3 multiple cars and 3 driver with clean record. One young driver.

progressive : They want 6k per year. Don't know about Gap insurance.
State farm : ~6k per yr.
Liberty Mutual: ~ 6 K per yr
I am not doing Geico. Great for 1st yr. Warren Buffet will jack the price next yr.