Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a 2021 Tesla Model Y a few months ago. To my surprise, the cost for insuring this car is quite high and even higher than Lexus RX350. Most of the insurance companies have little clue how safe the Tesla cars are. I know Tesla has its own insurance in CA and is trying to bring the insurance bussiness to other states, but this could takes years. Any suggestions for a good economical insurance company to insure my Tesla? Thanks.

You need to ship around. Prices have been all over the map. Literally.

Better yet, get a broker and have them do the work for you. I was with a liberty mutual, but apparently they don’t really want to I sure Tesla on this part of the country and their rates were outrageous. My broker found that Travelers was a much better option here.

But whatever you do, don’t just settle for crazy expensive rates. There IS a better option out there.

Try AMFam through Costco. They were by far the cheapest compared to Geico and Progressive. CA resident.

you don’t need to be a Costco member for this but you can get additional discounts and roadside assistance.

I was going to create a thread as this article really made me mad. I currently pay $1400/year thru Safeco for insurance which I don’t consider bad. It is cheaper than my 14 Grand Cherokee Overland that I owned. My issue with the article from above is the way they worded the article for click bait. Also, they disabled commenting on Yahoo so you can’t blast the writer for whatever they decide to write. Am I out of reality on what the writer listed the Model Y to insure? Is anyone seeing rates that high?

I was going to create a thread as this article really made me mad. I currently pay $1400/year thru Safeco for insurance which I don’t consider bad. It is cheaper than my 14 Grand Cherokee Overland that I owned. My issue with the article from above is the way they worded the article for click bait. Also, they disabled commenting on Yahoo so you can’t blast the writer for whatever they decide to write. Am I out of reality on what the writer listed the Model Y to insure? Is anyone seeing rates that high?
So many variables/factors... My Tesla was cheaper to insure than my Acura MDX. Although I have also found that Honda/Acura products tend to be very expensive to insure, at least around here... When I looked at the itemization, I found for example, on my Acura TL, the theft coverage was triple that of all my other cars, even compared to cars that were much more expensive. So after all the itemizations, most of our Acura vehicles are close to double that of my Infiniti vehicles to insure. And when my brother asked if I wanted his Accord or his Odysee van, I checked those, and those too were almost as expensive as our Acura vehicles to insure. So when we got our Model Y, it fell in between in terms of cost to insure.

702$ with esurance for me 30$ cheaper than my 18 2.0 accord sport for reference

I did shop around out of boredom to see and yea most(geico, progressive and allstate) were more than 1k in my area

so stuck with what i had

not complaining

702$ with esurance for me 30$ cheaper than my 18 2.0 accord sport for reference

I did shop around out of boredom to see and yea most(geico, progressive and allstate) were more than 1k in my area

so stuck with what i had

not complaining
I like the $700. We couldn’t get below the $1400. Not sure what your limits are but we do run high limits, rental insurance, towing and $0 glass deductible (already paid for itself with a rock to the windshield).