Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are also in Westchester and I believe we first contacted Geico and State Farm. One of them initially quoted us a price but then called back and told us they couldn't insure us after all (this after collecting all of our personal info like our SSN numbers - I was very upset). We eventually went with USAA but I believe you need to have a military member in your family to join. My wife refers to USAA as "Best Bank Ever" and we have never had problems with them (although we've never had to make a claim for either of our cars).

I have USAA and they're great. The rates seem to be a little higher but it's tough to compare different areas like that. I believe anyone can join USAA now or they relaxed the requirements to even friends of USAA members.

I went with GEICO for the Tesla and while I have not had a claim I was pleased with how easy they have been to contact and work with. My standard insurance carrier would not cover the TESLA so since I was going to have to get a stand alone policy I went for the best rate.

USAA. Best Auto Insurance ever. At the end of the year, they send you a letter stating, "We're sorry, but we over charged you this year. We had fewer claims than expected. Here is a refund check." They insure my Roadster.

I have complete unlimited coverage here in Tokyo for $2,500 per year. That's a bit misleading since the yen is very strong right now. Even though it's a base Roadster, collision is set at $160,000 with $1,000 deductible. Liability is unlimitted.

Yearly rates (1 US$ = 80 JPY)
1) Liablity (unlimitted) = $700
2) Collision ($160,000, $1000 deductible) = $1,800

I went with GEICO for the Tesla and while I have not had a claim I was pleased with how easy they have been to contact and work with. My standard insurance carrier would not cover the TESLA so since I was going to have to get a stand alone policy I went for the best rate.

How did you get GEICO to underwrite your Roadster? I called them a few years ago when I got mine and they refused to write coverage. I called them today and they confirmed that this vehicle is still on their list of exclusions.

Farmer's in Minnesota. About $650/6 mo with extended liability and medical limits and $240 deductible. I insure a lot of stuff through this agent so my rate may be somewhat reduced from normal.

I checked with my agent and I've got $1.5 million in liability coverage (I have a 1 million dollar umbrella) and $100K medical.

Last edited:
Farmer's in Minnesota. About $650/6 mo with extended liability and medical limits and $240 deductible.

Did you consider higher deductibles? Many people would be better off financially with higher deductibles (like $1000). Even though when something does happen it costs you $760 more, you've probably saved hundreds of dollars each year you haven't had a claim.

Look at deductibles this way: what is the smallest claim you would ever make? I wouldn't make a claim for $1000 because if you have two claims it drives up your insurance rates - why take the chance? You'll probably pay a lot more in the long run. If you don't think you'd claim $X, then why wouldn't you use $X as the deductible?

I have a $2,500 deductible on the next-most-expensive vehicle that I own. The Roadster would have a $2,500 deductible, too, except it's the first car I've ever gotten a loan to buy, and the bank won't allow anything higher than a $1,000 deductible. I guess I have to pay the higher premium because they don't trust that I have $2,500 after buying a Tesla.

Did you consider higher deductibles? Many people would be better off financially with higher deductibles (like $1000). Even though when something does happen it costs you $760 more, you've probably saved hundreds of dollars each year you haven't had a claim.

No. I've never had an accident (within the last 20 years) where I was even 1% at fault. I've always been able to get the other insurance company to accept full blame, usually by threatening to hire college professors and other professionals to prove that their insured was at fault. As a result, my insurance company never raises my rates.

No. I've never had an accident (within the last 20 years) where I was even 1% at fault. I've always been able to get the other insurance company to accept full blame, usually by threatening to hire college professors and other professionals to prove that their insured was at fault. As a result, my insurance company never raises my rates.
Well, the key point here is that your insurance company would lower your rates if you raise your deductible. Having an accident-free record is great, but they don't really track more than about 3 years. If you never get in an accident, then you'll never pay the deductible anyway, so you might as well pay the lowest premium.

It depends on where you're located...the standard in Canada in the early 80's was 5 years...then 6 years later on...we now have companies that currently rate back 10 years for accidents...

Well, the key point here is that your insurance company would lower your rates if you raise your deductible. Having an accident-free record is great, but they don't really track more than about 3 years. If you never get in an accident, then you'll never pay the deductible anyway, so you might as well pay the lowest premium.

Just another tidbit - I called my CA State Farm agent before buying the car to be sure they'd cover it. I asked him if I needed to get covered before buying the car and he told me that actually I'm automatically covered for up to 14 days, and that to save money I should call him on the 13th day and add the car to my policy - getting almost 2 weeks of free insurance. YMMV.