Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Roadster Insurance

I've gotten insurance quotes for my new (to me) 08 roadster of $1640 (thru Grundy Worldwide,) $1280 locally (with $1000 deductible,) and have heard of Allstate at $1200 (deductible unknown.) I don't mind limited mileage or use, as the car will not be my daily driver nor left unattended. Has anyone found any cheaper quotes, and if so, through who, and at what deductible? Thanks guys!

I have my Roadster insured with Amica. I have a pretty clean driving record (no tickets) with my only accident in years being another driver's fault (and covered by their insurance). The Tesla policy costs $2215/year, but that includes a waiver that will pay off any remaining loan if the car is totaled. The rate is a little deceiving since Amica usually refunds 20% of the premium back each year, making the annual rate about $1772/year. This is already including discounts I get for having Homeowners and an Umbrella Liability policy with them. Amica has given me outstanding customer service, and prior to my getting the Roadster last year, they were cheaper than Geico and USAA when I was rate shopping (that is, they had the best rate for the total of all my different policies). It might be time to check around again though to see if there is someone offering better rates in VT.

$510 per 6 mo. thru Geico. 100k/300k coverage with $500 comp/coll deductible, and full glass......roadside assistance, $50 a day towards a rental, etc. Cancelable at any time with no penalty. Insured value of $80-$90k. Unlimited mileage and usage. I thought this was pretty fair.

For me in California I had been paying $1500 / 6 months for 3 cars including the roadster. Dodge truck, subaru outback, tesla. I thought it was steep. Also my broker quoted me a way lower price when I was looking to get the roadster, then the $1500 quote came up and I nearly fell over. I just called Liberty Insurance, thanks Bonnie for the lead, and they dropped it down to $850 for the whole year, not 6 months, for all three cars. Going to finalize the deal tonight. Huge savings.

And to add the whip cream on top.... I called to lock in the insurance and it even got cheaper, they give a discount for direct pay as well. My total yearly payment for 3 cars, Roadster fully covered, is $689/year. I don't have to pay it all up front, its not more expensive to have payments but rather cheaper since its direct pay from a checking account.

Also the two agents I worked with were very professional, nice, and very interested in the electric vehicles! I highly recommend Liberty Insurance.

One thing to note, the key to the lower prices is to grab all the discounts! I was able to get 17% off my quote since I was a UCSC alumni.

Last edited: