Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI everyone,

I have ordered a model Y and I am trying to work out full running costs but struggling to get an insurance quote. Does anyone know where I could get one? I did one for a model 3 and compared to what I am paying for my current car its quite expensive. TIA.

If it's like when the first Model 3's came out it was DirectLine/Churchill that were the first to offer sensible pricing as they have some 'official' status with Tesla.
The relationship with DL goes back to 2017, well before the Model 3 arrived in the UK. I'm not 100% with the accuracy of this but I believe a Model S owner lived next door to to a senior guy at DL and approached him to seee if they'd be interested in settting up an arrangement. When it first started there were just a couple of staff there that new about the deal, so you had to make sure you spoke to one of them otherwise you got told to do away! And there was a 5% discount if you had Autopilot.

They were really good when the spate of MS & MX theft's were going on, and before the Owners Group had managed to get Tesla to add PIN to Drive via a software update. DL sent us a faraday pouch with some advice on how to try and mitigate against theft. Obviously in their interests as well but a nice touch.

Doesnt't mean they are all things to all men though. I tend to yo yo between DL and LV but YMMV :)

HI everyone,

I have ordered a model Y and I am trying to work out full running costs but struggling to get an insurance quote. Does anyone know where I could get one? I did one for a model 3 and compared to what I am paying for my current car its quite expensive. TIA.
Try Direct Line they have a Dedicated Tesla Team, when I was organising Insurance for my M3 in August 2019 they were the only Insurer who knew what they were talking about.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
Peugeot where by far the cheapest for me at £332
I just got an online quote from them too - also cheapest I could find. Only concern I have is the "Peugeot approved accident repair centers" and Peugeot original equipment parts and paint". Would that cover a Tesla?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220108-083222.jpg
    Screenshot_20220108-083222.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 1,065
I just got an online quote from them too - also cheapest I could find. Only concern I have is the "Peugeot approved accident repair centers" and Peugeot original equipment parts and paint". Would that cover a Tesla?
You can take it to any repair company of your choice. Same for most insurance policies. Ge really if you do you lose the courtesy car.

*When you use an approved Peugeot accident and repair center.

They've also confirmed to numerous people including myself that you can take your car to Tesla if it's been in an accident and needs a repair.

Also, they are underwritten by UK insurance who own Direct Line and Churchill and numerous other brands. When I got my documents through I had to send my proof of NCD to Direct Line house I think it was.

Last edited:
Reactions: ajbrun
placed an order for a Model Y and looking into insurance quotes but most insurers (including Peugeot) don’t even list the MY as a model option. Direct line do but giving me crazy quotes despite full NCB etc. Anyone have any other options?

Ok not that bad 😄. I’ve been getting £1400+ which is still ridiculous. So if anyone can shed light on an insurance provider that has the option to input the MY as the model, please do share!
Hopefully by early Feb there will be some more options, previously when the Model 3 was launched there was a Liverpool broker that offered decent quotes called Novo Insurance, I wold expect them to have the Y available for quotes

placed an order for a Model Y and looking into insurance quotes but most insurers (including Peugeot) don’t even list the MY as a model option. Direct line do but giving me crazy quotes despite full NCB etc. Anyone have any other options?
Where do you see the Model Y as an option? I don't see it listed on this page:

I called both Direct Line and Churchill yesterday. Both said when it's available online (they estimated February), then it's available in their systems to use.

Where do you see the Model Y as an option? I don't see it listed on this page:

I called both Direct Line and Churchill yesterday. Both said when it's available online (they estimated February), then it's available in their systems to use.
Maybe it was a computer glitch at the time as I was definitely able to choose Model Y. Here’s to hoping that the pricing was a computer glitch as well!

I've been emailing Aimee at NOVO directly and just had a quote for MY LR today. It was just over £1200, a little more expensive than Admiral (£924) but I do like this:

• Agreed value cover for the Tesla
• All repairs carried out at a Tesla Approved Repairer
• Fully Comprehensive cover for driving other vehicles for you and your spouse, as long as the vehicle is insured and you have the owner’s permission
• Replacement Tesla loan vehicle whilst your own vehicle is repaired – regardless of whether fault or non-fault
• 182 days of EU driving cover – Unlimited trips
• UK Breakdown cover
• Uninsured driver protection
• New vehicle replacement
• Personal belongings cover up to £1,500
• Legal expenses cover

Reactions: Wattsisname