Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys - where does the tracker issue stand now is it approved for insurance or not?
The built-in Tesla tracking functionality is not a Thatcham approved tracker, which is what the insurers are normally interested in.

Also worth noting that the location in the app only updates when the car is driven. If someone lifts your car onto a flat bed truck and moves it, the location won't update automatically (although I believe Tesla can locate the car assuming it's still online).

Reactions: MrT3
The built-in Tesla tracking functionality is not a Thatcham approved tracker, which is what the insurers are normally interested in.

Also worth noting that the location in the app only updates when the car is driven. If someone lifts your car onto a flat bed truck and moves it, the location won't update automatically (although I believe Tesla can locate the car assuming it's still online).
Thank you 🙏

I think the biggest issue with the Tesla tracker is its the "cheap" style thats based on a sim card, so its super easy to block the signal. Most insurers in my experience are only really interested in giving a discount if you've got the full blown system installed that has multiple ways of being detected.

Yeah worried that the story is DL, LV, Churchill have dropped Teslas completely.

I"m hoping this is just a clueless telephone agent.. DL pulling out would be wierd when they're supposed to be Tesla's preffered insurer.

We’ll be back soon!​

Our system is down for a bit of planned maintenance. Don't worry, we'll be up and running again very soon.

From Direct Line Tesla page

I think the entire DL system is down for maintenence right now.. apparently they update everything at the end of a month so I wouldn't read anything into it.

Where I think the rumour doesn't hold water is it lists DL and LV together.. they're different underwriters, different assumptions.. why would they announce exactly the same policy on the same day?

I've been emailing Aimee at NOVO directly and just had a quote for MY LR today. It was just over £1200, a little more expensive than Admiral (£924) but I do like this:

• Agreed value cover for the Tesla
• All repairs carried out at a Tesla Approved Repairer
• Fully Comprehensive cover for driving other vehicles for you and your spouse, as long as the vehicle is insured and you have the owner’s permission
• Replacement Tesla loan vehicle whilst your own vehicle is repaired – regardless of whether fault or non-fault
• 182 days of EU driving cover – Unlimited trips
• UK Breakdown cover
• Uninsured driver protection
• New vehicle replacement
• Personal belongings cover up to £1,500
• Legal expenses cover
How do you get a quote from them?

Multiple claims on the web to that effect, although obviously difficult to test!
It definitely doesn’t update if not awake. I’ve a nice crow flies line on my Teslamate map when my old M3 was transported, which only appeared once woken up at the destination.

As an insurance discounting tracker it is useless. Not Thatcham approved as you say, the police don’t have an easy way to track the vehicle and very simple to defeat by disconnecting the 12v battery and HV battery.

Reactions: Irata
It depends entirely on the insurance company... LV for example have no issues with the tesla tracker. Again, this isn't a question to be answered by comparethemarket - just say yes and leave it up to the company you're dealing with to decide whether it's 'good enough' - that's their problem.. they have the specs of the car and should know this information.

It depends entirely on the insurance company... LV for example have no issues with the tesla tracker. Again, this isn't a question to be answered by comparethemarket - just say yes and leave it up to the company you're dealing with to decide whether it's 'good enough' - that's their problem.. they have the specs of the car and should know this information.
I just changed my CM offer to exclude tracker - as they could say you deceived them etc if you had to claim… long and short it made no difference to price.

Reactions: Campi
I'm currently with Sheilas Wheels (owned by esure) and they aren't going to insure Model Y's!! Quite annoying as only just renewed but at least they said the £60 cancellation fee doesnt apply

I'm seeing pretty high quotes for MY (where I can get them).. Sheila's Wheels had said an M3 LR would have been about £350 and today Admiral wanted £530 for the MY.

As my wife is with Direct Line I'm hoping they update their system soon and maybe we'll get some multi-car discount.

I'm currently with Sheilas Wheels (owned by esure) and they aren't going to insure Model Y's!! Quite annoying as only just renewed but at least they said the £60 cancellation fee doesnt apply
Is that currently or forever? I'm with them too and Model Y isn't listed yet when I try to change the car online. When I spoke to them last week they said its not listed yet and its best I call them closer to the delivery date.