Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is that currently or forever? I'm with them too and Model Y isn't listed yet when I try to change the car online. When I spoke to them last week they said its not listed yet and its best I call them closer to the delivery date.
Given than even direct line dont have the MY listed I'm not at all surprised Sheilas Wheels didnt either, but the CS person I was talking said she'd gone and "asked" and it was still no. But I suspect the supervisor may have just been saying "if the computer says no...."

They do give you a daily pro-rata refund so I'll wait until the day after collection (just in case, COVID and all) and then cancel if they still aren't offering it.

The cheapest quote of £422 was with Bell (owned by Admiral) but you have to install a box for 6 months.

On a related note.. windscreen cover will be essential but worth noting I had to wait 2 weeks to get an Outlander rear screen via Autoglass. The Tesla rep at Thorpe Park admitted spare parts for MY's will be tight until the summer so god help anyone who gets a crack in that lovely supersize front windscreen :eek:

Reactions: ukmy
I emailed the CEO of Direct Line yesterday afternoon, and have just had a call from one of the senior managers on the motor team.

He said that having escalated it yesterday the team responsible for adding the Model Y onto the system tried to update it last night but that failed. He indicated that they were going to try to get it done by Monday and he would call me on Monday with an update.

He said that if it failed on Monday they would keep trying as they are aware of the urgent need to provide cover for the Model Y.

I'll post an update on Monday.

I emailed the CEO of Direct Line yesterday afternoon, and have just had a call from one of the senior managers on the motor team.

He said that having escalated it yesterday the team responsible for adding the Model Y onto the system tried to update it last night but that failed. He indicated that they were going to try to get it done by Monday and he would call me on Monday with an update.

He said that if it failed on Monday they would keep trying as they are aware of the urgent need to provide cover for the Model Y.

I was getting this on Friday from Direct Line
Screenshot_20220204-194804_Gmail.jpg

Had an email this morning from the manager at Direct Line offering for someone to call me to arrange cover on the Model Y.

Just put the phone down and am a happy bunny. Additional premium of £81.17 which I think is a result.

In my early 60's, retired, rural Suffolk and car kept in garage day & night

So annual premium of £553.38

Reactions: Campi
So not all comparison sites are equal... Today I tried Confused.com for MY and providing the same answers as to comparethemarket got a quote of £422 fully comp via Admiral which is £130 cheaper than Admirals best quotes from elsewhere. My advice - try them all and again a few days later as things seem to change quite fast.

Reactions: ajbrun
So not all comparison sites are equal... Today I tried Confused.com for MY and providing the same answers as to comparethemarket got a quote of £422 fully comp via Admiral which is £130 cheaper than Admirals best quotes from elsewhere. My advice - try them all and again a few days later as things seem to change quite fast.
Oh without a doubt. I do all 5 and then the few that are not listed on comparison sites.

Then when i've chosen my best option, I also do a quote directly with them to see if there is any difference.

Usually I can snag a bargain from SOMEWHERE. Not this year though =/

Admiral quoting £458 on Model Y for me and wife (29 and 30, Swindon). Direct Line coming in a little more expensive at £643. Happy with that. Over the weekend everyone except admiral was refusing to quote me at all, so looks like they are sorting things out now. Still can't get quoted on confused/compare at all.

Admiral quoting £458 on Model Y for me and wife (29 and 30, Swindon). Direct Line coming in a little more expensive at £643. Happy with that. Over the weekend everyone except admiral was refusing to quote me at all, so looks like they are sorting things out now. Still can't get quoted on confused/compare at all.
I don't get how Admiral's prices can be so all over the place.

I'm currently insured with Admiral on my Q5 and pay £350 for me and my wife (38 & 37) but Admiral want over £850 for the mY - 20 years No Claims, No Convictions etc etc - So frustrating.

Reactions: ajbrun
My insurance is up for renewal at the end of this month, so have been checking quotes from various insurers for my new M3 LR due to arrive next month. Ignoring the complications of a new car arriving a few weeks after renewal, I've just been getting quotes for the new car for now.

I'm 46, 20+ years no claims (never had a claim), 1 SP50 from 4½ years ago.

Admiral: £560 (my current insurer on ID.3, renewal on that is £330)
Comparison sites: ~£850 > £Insane (all sites around the same so far)
Direct Line: £1450 (recommended Tesla partner!)
Aviva: £2687

What a bunch of cowboys. How can they be so different?

First time for as long as I can remember that I'll be sticking with an existing insurer rather than getting a deal from elsewhere as a new customer.

I'm currently insured with Admiral on my Q5 and pay £350 for me and my wife (38 & 37) but Admiral want over £850 for the mY - 20 years No Claims, No Convictions etc etc - So frustrating.
Bizarre, forgot to mention I also have 3 points, although due to be removed on April 13th. I'm insured with admiral at the moment for £390 on a 330i, so my quote makes no sense when comparing your numbers.

Bizarre, forgot to mention I also have 3 points, although due to be removed on April 13th. I'm insured with admiral at the moment for £390 on a 330i, so my quote makes no sense when comparing your numbers.
You must have a very desirable post code! 😂
My Q5 insurance would have been up for renewal on 18th March (MY due to be delivered on 1st March) They want £38 extra for the period between 1st March - 18th March which seems reasonable util you divide £38 into 18 days then multiply it by 365 days then add that onto my current £350

For me first admiral quote via meerkats was over £500. Then tried with confused and came down to 433 then adding multicar ended up at £386ish.

Same answers on both comparison sites.

I found varying the voluntary excess on the meerkats (and *nothing* else) gave me the following:
£250 excess - £542
£500 excess - £462
£700 excess - £722

So by choosing a lower excess I save £150? WTF?

Also the further back you quote seems to be more or less linear.. there's no dip at 3 weeks as often claimed... 4-5 weeks is somewhat cheaper.

I love that comparison sites are letting us unpick the algorithms a bit like this.. but the chances I'll be confident I've got the lowest quote are about zero..

Last edited: