Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Darn Admiral is saying error message, anyone got this resolved?
Sorry
We are unable to complete this change without a valid UK registration number. If the vehicle is not registered and does not have a valid UK registration number, we cannot cover the vehicle.

Just finalising my insurance for tomorrrows pickup and every quote I got a week ago has gone up by £100* . . . . in one week!!

Aviva, the company my previous car was insutred with and with wqhom my wife;s car is insured does not have Tesla, any Tesla, on the long list of car manufacturers to select from.

I get the feeling that insurance companies do not want to insure Teslas!

Wimilar experience

LV can't quote
Compare the market only came back with Admiral
Peuogot won't quote online
DL website didn't work so I ended up talking to someone and got a price which was comparable to Admiral

On the plus side, its about £80 more than my 2 year old M3 cost to insure so given the late arrangement (not a planned thing, only becauase LV won't) I'mm not going to grumble.

Anyone driving around the NEC though be warned, I went there earlier in the week and there are lots of road changes which show up on google maps but don't quite align with the Tesla satnav, but it's hard to tell - I was sent down more than 1 blind alley!

Edit to add: frustratingly, the registration on my final invoice is different to the one they've text me with, so I potentially I have 2 registrations and the insurance is in only one. Any guesses which one is right?

Last edited:
I rang Peugeot insurance today, to swap my insurance over from the M3 to MY for Thursday, thinking they might say no after things people have said on here, but I was happy to hear that it was no problem!

Cost an extra £100 for my remaining 6 months, which isn’t great, but not too bad either considering it was so easy to swap over.

Reactions: dangrenade
I received my first ClearScore DriveScore recently, a figure of 988/1,000 (1,000 for acceleration, cornering, phone use, speeding, 898 for braking).

So tried out 23-day ahead quotes before and after enabling 'Enhanced offers' and this is what I found:

Admiral = £608.59
Elephant = £615.37
Admiral Gold = £628.34
Admiral Platinum = £656.34

Admiral = £591.62 (£−16.97, 97.2%, 2.79% discount)
Elephant = £598.40 (same)
Admiral Gold = £611.37 (same)
Admiral Platinum = £639.37 (same)

Interestingly their insurer partners Diamond, Hastings, Insure Pink, People's Choice and Provident all declined to quote.

So in theory a maximal discount of 2.82% if I had scored 1,000/1,000. Plus around the same discount as that of Bell Telematics black box Gold rating.

Thankfully all this is still much more than my Aviva renewal (£398), so I've returned to my usual style of driving and recorded 9 events on the trip in :)

I always wondered if DriveScore really meant anything.. I was consistently above 990, but never checked out what insurance they offered as I'd given up on it before I got my Y.

<3% difference doesn't really make it worth it - you can save more than that by fiddling with quotes on comparethemarket.

What you might find if you had done a quote with your score above 990 is that the insurers on quote request may have cached that information into their own systems against your driver identity. The DriveScore terms even mention this may happen as a possibility, i.e. it definitely does. So then you may find that the parent groups of those insurers give slightly better offers via the comparison sites in future. At least, that’s what I’m hoping will be enough to make their offers more competitive than renewing again.

Shocking ! I'd like to see some form of investigation by some organisation that knows something about the how. why's and where's of car insurance.
Unless we have the full details of where people live, their age and occupation and driving history including points etc none of the prices quoted are relevant.

For example I'm 58, live near Macclesfield, work from home with the odd the work commute and have a clean licence and have never had so much as a parking fine. My insurance this year including SWMBO on an M3 was £542. It only needs a few points on the licence and to work for example in the licensed trade an this price could go through the roof.

Unless we have the full details of where people live, their age and occupation and driving history including points etc none of the prices quoted are relevant

We can do that (difficult) or we can compare what we were paying for the car we had before the Tesla. , , , I had a Porsche Macan and paid Aviva £320 a year . . . Aviva wanted £1,680 for the M3 (Admiral, Direct Line and Saga were the same or more)

Reactions: Garry TheBiz
I had a Porsche Macan and paid Aviva £320 a year . . . Aviva wanted £1,680 for the M3 (Admiral, Direct Line and Saga were the same or more)
My previous vehicle was in group 48 - £350 (10k miles, £600 XS). My LR (group 50) is £430 (8k miles, £350 XS). Both with Direct Line, and part of that increase is probably inflationary as it was 16 months between the start of one policy to the other.

Admiral. The black box just plugs into the cigarette port which is nicely hidden on the Tesla, so it's no bother.

Although they did send me an email suggesting 'drive less' - I'd done 200 miles in a month (bad weather, working from home, etc.)

Last edited:
Coming up to a year of ownership at the end of June, and started looking at renewal prices.

Churchill charged me £850 last June. I had a no fault accident and 3 points for an SP30, which is why I thought it was so high.

Just did some comparison sites and have been quoted £490 at Priveledge (Churchill).

Can't believe the huge difference and basically how much I got ripped off last year. And next year the no fault accident goes away so hopefully even cheaper.

Coming to the end of my first year in September 2021 with Churchill that cost me £450 I shopped around for better price but the best anyone could do was something like £750 and a new Churchill quote was higher than that.

It came as a very pleasant surprise that Churchill's renewal cost was the same, to the penny, as last years price.

I tried recently getting some quotes through ASDA for interest but the best any of their insurers could come up with was £1400.

I hope Churchill's renewal this September will not be too far from their previous price for me.