Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to reinsure my aged ICE - was £95 last year. The Co wrote to me offering this year at £105 BUT add £50 office fees. I rang them up and they started giving me flannel about last year's office fees being £40 (which hadn't been charged via the comparison site last year). A comparison search found an alternative at £90 with no additional fees. Everyone trying to scam ya...

Reactions: greenbottle123
How are people getting £100-£300 insurance. Have a clean licence for 12 years ncb and live within the M25 and its always around the £900 mark
I'd be overjoyed to find insurance around the £900 mark, but then I live in an inner London borough. EDIT: To be fair, I only have 1 year NCB as I was car-free for a number of years - but experimenting with the comparison sites NCB doesn't actually seem to make a huge difference in my case.

MY insurance is insane. I'm paying £125 until Sep, then I think its going to be about £550, but thats with a multicar discount, standalone its £850!

My MS P90DL which is stupid fast is only £385 - £440 ish depending on the year.

I am just about to renew my insurance on my 2019 M3LR and I was pleasantly surprised that my quotes are below £500 for the first time. In fact £437 from Churchill was the best on Money supermarket.
However
Knowing I am switching to an MY in the next few months I thought I had better see who is offering the best price on that see if it affects who I should chose.
changed car for a model Y. Prices Jumped to £760 and Churchill were not even on the first page. so nearly double for what is a very similar car?

I wondered if it was due to me saying I don't own the car yet. Maybe some people don't like to quote for that scenario so I added the reg number of a random MY of the same spec price changed to £1107 !!!!

WTF

I know the MY is worth 40% more than my MY but I was still a bit shocked and why the difference between a speculative quote and an actual vehicle? insurance is due Middle of next month for reference.
What prices are others getting now. Have not tried DL yet. I am 50 with a clean record living in a reasonably low crime area doing 15K miles?

LV were the same for me.. I was offered a renewal around £300 on my 3LR, but was upgrading to a Y before it was due anyway. I then requoted and they wanted almost £1k for the Y.. 3 times the price for essentially the same car.

The DL quote wasn't worth considering.

I ended up with Admiral at £500.

• Informative
Reactions: Jason71
LV were the same for me.. I was offered a renewal around £300 on my 3LR, but was upgrading to a Y before it was due anyway. I then requoted and they wanted almost £1k for the Y.. 3 times the price for essentially the same car.

The DL quote wasn't worth considering.

I ended up with Admiral at £500.
I am with admiral now but they want 50% more for the M3 now than Churchill. but that is probably just renewal BS. I can probably beat them down then stick with them for the MY. I will give them a call.

Hey Guys - where does the tracker issue stand now is it approved for insurance or not?
Monitored Tracker.
I am trying to get quotes for my Q2 model Y. At delivery I simply switched cover from my existing car to the Y.
I am now looking around for new 12 months cover.
It is proving difficult; two companies have refused cover unless a monitored tracker is installed.
Has anyone else come up against this?

Also, I am not sure if the Y is fitted with a Thatcham approved alarm.
Advice/information would be appreciated.
With which companies are you insured?

The relationship with DL goes back to 2017, well before the Model 3 arrived in the UK. I'm not 100% with the accuracy of this but I believe a Model S owner lived next door to to a senior guy at DL and approached him to seee if they'd be interested in settting up an arrangement. When it first started there were just a couple of staff there that new about the deal, so you had to make sure you spoke to one of them otherwise you got told to do away! And there was a 5% discount if you had Autopilot.

They were really good when the spate of MS & MX theft's were going on, and before the Owners Group had managed to get Tesla to add PIN to Drive via a software update. DL sent us a faraday pouch with some advice on how to try and mitigate against theft. Obviously in their interests as well but a nice touch.

Doesnt't mean they are all things to all men though. I tend to yo yo between DL and LV but YMMV :)
LV will not insure my Y unless a monitored tracker is fitted. Did you have this issue?

LV will not insure my Y unless a monitored tracker is fitted. Did you have this issue?
They all have different demographic / risk preferences. Just shop around until you find a good fit/price. I've tried DL in the past, even citing their specific Tesla deals on the phone and they gave me 'go away' quotes, so I did.

I told GA that the Y has a non-thatcham approved tracker as standard (which is true) and they were happy with that.

Reactions: Wattsisname