TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Insurance

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Cobra Kai, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Cobra Kai

Cobra Kai Member

With about a year away from getting my Model X (hopefully in a little bit less time...), I was wondering what I should be expecting for an insurance premium. Just looking for a ballpark figure here, with the car most likely hovering around 100k. I assume it will not be much different from a similarly priced Model S, so that's why I posted this here.

I'm just starting to piece together all the misc costs in addition to the actual vehicle...

Thanks!

2. DieAbetic

DieAbetic Member

Roughly $2000-$2500 per year for good coverage, depending on your company, location, age, driving history, other discounts, etc. Some people get amazing rates closer to $1000-$1500 per year but I have yet to find coverage I like at that range.

3. Ssssly

Ssssly Member

There are too many variables to compare in a forum.

When I was looking last year, I simply called my insurance company and asked, which is my recommendation.

4. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

Mine is 729$ per 6 mo with State Farm in Northern CA. About 80$ per year less than my wife's Ford Explorer and twice my 93 Chevy truck.

5. karmamule

karmamule Member

The company I work at partners w/Liberty Mutual to get good rates for its employees, and they'll charge me a little under $1400/yr but that includes good coverage AND they'll knock 1 year + 15,000 miles off the car's life when estimating what I'll get if it's ever totaled. The insurance agent I'm currently using checked with 3 other companies that they work with and they all were several hundred dollars more per year for similar coverage, so it looks like I'll be going with Liberty.

6. LonghornDub

LonghornDub Member

I'm not sure how much more a Model X will cost to insure relative to a Model S, but I'm paying $550 per 6 months with GEICO in Texas, and that's with maxed out liability coverage. I was actually pleasantly surprised how affordable it was.

Unfortunately, the variance is so high from state to state and insured to insured, it's really hard to predict what kind of rates you'll get. GEICO (at least in Texas) gives some pretty serious discount if you meet certain criteria, which I think is why my premium ended up relatively low.