TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

INSURANCE

Discussion in 'Model S' started by jjnatick, Sep 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jjnatick

jjnatick New Member

Received my insurance Quote today on my 2017 Model X and it is Over $5,000. plus
    I did not plan this, does this sound right?

2. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Shop around. Insurance costs will vary greatly based on your car model, driving history, age, gender, location, and insurance company. Mine is no where near that.

3. stan23

stan23 Member

Insurance is going to be based on so many different variables, it is impossible to say if that's a good rate or not.

I do notice that Tesla's are on the upper end of the price range for insurance..

4. milleron

milleron Member

My Model S insurance just went up 7% over last year, but it's only $1,800/yr for the 2017 MS and a 2003 Accord (that still has collision insurance on it). If the 7% continues, it could get pretty testy fairly soon, but it's sure not starting at $5,000. No matter what company is giving that quote, it's unbelievable.

5. Qbenjamin

Qbenjamin Ballin On A Budget

Without knowing your full background (tickets, accidents, credit, etc.), it's impossible to know if you're being ripped off or not. Like the other posters mentioned, definitely shop around. I'm about to switch to Progressive after USAA wouldn't match their pricing. I'm going from $250 per month to $169 per month (2014 MS & 2017 Accord).

• Like x 1
  6. kort677

kort677 Active Member

insurance is very personalized so it would impossible to say anymore than that it is a very high quote. some of the variables that can affect what a person has to pay includes and are not limited to your sex, your age, marital status, children, where you live, where the car will be parked, both at home and work, total miles driven, miles commuted, usage of the car for work or other commercial uses, prior claim record, driving records, your credit score. the best advice would be to shop around, for me quotes varied wildly

7. idleuser

idleuser Member

5000 sounds extreme. But if someone had multiple points plus a dui conviction, then I could see why it would cost 5000. Assuming you don't any of these points on your record, I would say that is almost twice the average of 2500/year for full coverage.

8. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

After being a customer to American commerce insurance co for nearly a decade they informed me that they no longer carry policies on tesla vehicles and I need to find a new carrier.

My agent is shopping around now and I’ll share the company I end up with but I’d suggest contacting an agent local to you to get fair quotes.

9. Bebop

Bebop Member

Have you tried a Progressive quote? Seems to be a very popular option for Model S owners. I’m on Progressive.

It seems they are Tesla friendly. Maybe the same might apply for a Model X

10. Keith909man

Keith909man Member

We had Geico for 10 years and Theo prices have always been fair until we got our 2017 MS qoute. They quoted us over 400 a month! That's including our old Land Rover discovery. Shopped around and progressive came through at 140 a month for both cars!

Here's a nice tip if you're married or on someone's insurance. use who ever credit is the highest as the primary on the insurance. Makes a HUGE difference. They only check credit of the primary person and the other person just piggy backs the insurance.

11. futurem3owner

futurem3owner 2017 90D

I have Progressive as well. It's funny when you get quotes online from different insurance companies to compare but then they try to contact you by phone later on to let you know that you can get better quote and then you mention that you have a Tesla. Mysteriously, the part of getting a better deal is no longer applicable.

12. kutkuzak

kutkuzak Patrick

I switched from Safeco to Progressive - switching out a 4 year old Leaf for a 90D while doubling my coverage - and my insurance went *down* $40/month. $1k/yr (for 2 cars - Tesla is supposedly 600 of that)

13. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

Just insured New build 75 for $1080. yr. However 1 ticket no accidents and I'm OLD!! ;)

• Like x 1
  14. pvazquez03

pvazquez03 2017 Model S75D

I had esurance and on their wed site it was about $1200 / yr quoted, BUT when I signed up I had to call them and it went up to $2100/yr for my Tesla S75D 2017. I have a perfect record and 30+ yrs driving, so I called around and found "Costco" insurance Ameriprise quoted me only $1100/yr and better insurance, check them out.

15. pvazquez03

pvazquez03 2017 Model S75D

So I called around and found "Costco" insurance Ameriprise quoted me only $1100/yr and better insurance, check them out.