Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

InsureMyTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

avoigt

Sep 5, 2017
Germany
Thats what I call " to own the value chain".

It looks like a small item but owning a Tesla means more and more to be in a fully serviced Tesla Eco - System. The implications are Apple-like where to own the value chain means you own all aspects of the customers experience and you can combine them in a way others are unable to. A unique USP with high implications on customer loyalty and experience that will result in a competitive edge, higher revenue und margin....

Tesla is expanding its insurance program to the US and Canada

P.S. its likely that the same will be initiated in Europe.

Rates for me worse than my current policy with AMICA.... Added in the rental coverage, the deductible, etc., I guess we're supposed to choose OEM parts since that's part of the 'advantage'? Cost me a lot more (almost 100%).

Looks like it's just a link to Liberty Mutual, and perhaps they have some discount, but I'm not seeing it... like to hear how others compare to current coverage.

Edit: you can click on the link and do a quote step-by-step in about a minute.

State require a captive domestic insurer qualified to do business in the State. Same as the idiot dealer laws.

If you don't see Elon controlling the Eco system as grounds to increase insurance costs as part of the closing- you're not paying attention.

Plus, if you have the wealth to own and drive one of these cars, you're gonna need excess insurance. Which means you're gonna need 300/500 limits since most excess policy require fairly steep primary coverages.

So, @_TTT_ can you tell us limits for the car please? And deductibles . . . I'm pretty certain that $600 annually doesn't cover comprehensive and collision on a $100k vehicle driven back and forth to work.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
So, @_TTT_ can you tell us limits for the car please? And deductibles . . . I'm pretty certain that $600 annually doesn't cover comprehensive and collision on a $100k vehicle driven back and forth to work.

250/500k liability
250/500k uninsured motorist
25k PIP
2k deductible for both liability and comprehensive
No rental reimbursement or roadside assistance
Primary Use: Commute

The InsureMyTesla quote for me is a joke. Someone else just posted on Electrek their quote was $331/mo so it isn't just me.

To be completely fair, the InsureMyTesla quote I did only had options for $1k deductible vs my $2k. And I also didn't bundle my home on the quote. But those two things certainly wouldn't drop the price by 85%.

This could have been awesome. Guaranteeing a Tesla in case of an accident (in sync with the recent promise to provide only Tesla loaners from SvCs) would have been nice. There was some scuttlebutt about Tesla loaners now being promised and then not, and then promised again - can't remember the current state. But evidently it's not part of the insurance program. Perhaps the implication is they'll fulfill their previous promise and all loaners/rentals will magically be Teslas.

In any case, Liberty Mutual wasn't close to competitive before and they aren't today. I recently renewed my policy at half the rate quoted by Liberty Mutual. Now, granted, I don't get all of the perks listed, but really the differentiator would be providing a Tesla while it takes (up to) months to get yours back. I do get 2 things Liberty Mutual fails to provide - CSL coverage (google it) and gap insurance for as long as it makes sense to have it.

I rarely accept a loaner from an SvC but have always flat out refused a non-Tesla. I wish more people did, which might compel Tesla to deliver their promise of Tesla loaners, which might then lead to Tesla rentals (long term loaners during the repair processes).

My top 3 cost leaders for insurance are:
Wawanesa
Progressive
Geico

The 3 worst are:
AAA
Allstate
Liberty Mutual

Although Allstate and Chubb offer good stated value/replacement value policies, if you don't mind paying $3K-$4.5K/year.

None of this matters for you in terms of rate comparison unless you also regrettably domicile yer chariot in Los Angeles County but do have a clean driving record and pretty much every discount known to man. Friends in Idaho and Arizona just point and laugh, really. They pay half to a third.

250/500k liability
250/500k uninsured motorist
25k PIP
2k deductible for both liability and comprehensive
No rental reimbursement or roadside assistance
Primary Use: Commute

The InsureMyTesla quote for me is a joke. Someone else just posted on Electrek their quote was $331/mo so it isn't just me.
seems like an excellent quote - what part of the country? someplace with low insurance fraud.

seems like an excellent quote - what part of the country? someplace with low insurance fraud.

I'm in the Pacific NW. Also, someone else just posted they were quoted $500 for 6 months with a $500 deductible on an X100D - Insurance Cost in SoCal. for MX.

Now that more people are posting InsureMyTesla quotes on Electrek, it seems pretty bad.

1) $331/mo
2) $332/mo
3) $469/mo
4) $325/mo
5) $536/mo

I did a lot of shopping around for insurance and these are some of the worst numbers I have encountered. Did Tesla even check with Liberty Mutual on how competitive they are before rolling this out???

I dunno...it's still early - maybe some parts of the country will come out ahead. Waiting to see what others post....

Last edited:
I read this article and I am a current liberty mutual customer, my 75d is half that with a $500 deductible. I was looking forward to getting home to check what would happen if I updated my policy... This doesn't seem right... Double cost, less coverage...hmmm. I'm afraid to call and ask about it now

I'm in SoCal, I am paying about $350 a month for 2 Tesla X 90Ds and a Fiat 500e. (State Farm, 100/300, with $1k deductibles).

The InsureMyTesla Quote came out to about 453 a month,

I then got a call from someone who was an insurance agent for LibMu, and after confirming a few things, they couldn't match the State farm price i'm paying.

I'm quite happy with State Farm so far, so not too worried about it.