Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurence not accepting new reg

phillcom3

Jul 27, 2019
preston
So I receives an email with my cars reg today but non of the insurers are finding it yet. Do I just call and get them to force it through? I don't remember having this issue with my last car.

VanillaAir_UK

Jun 17, 2019
Surrey, UK
Cars are not registered until day of collection so reg plates will not appear in databases until after that. Most insurers are aware of the procedures, some are not. It may involve a phone call.

Jason71

May 8, 2019
Shropshire
I assume you don't have the car yet if you are being emailed a reg?
if the insurers are using the DVLA's publicly accessible database which basically everyone is either directly or indirectly then the regnumber will not appear on there until the day AFTER the V5c is printed which is usually the day after it is registered ( unless its a weekend in which case it takes longer).
So basically no there is nowhere that they will be able to find it at this stage.

Radders

Oct 8, 2019
Essex
I'll have to call in the morning then
ive just done my insurance, im not picking up car until next week, i put reg number into go compare and then it just asked me to select car, i ended up going through LV and they had no issues, and ive got the ins doc's with reg on it.

VanillaAir_UK

Jun 17, 2019
Surrey, UK
give the VIN number to get insurance cover if that is Op's issue

If you give them a VIN, then you are at risk of a last minute car change. We had exactly that on day of collection, but thankfully the VIN was not registered for insurance so it did not count as a car change that some insurers penalise you for if you have too many in quick succession.

nightowl

Sep 2, 2019
Berkshire
Sorted my insurance this morning via phone with the registration number :)
Apparently it can take a week or two sometimes for the registration lookups to be updated with the latest information.

phillcom3

Jul 27, 2019
preston
turns out they could match when called . they also advised don't take the breakdown recovery as tesla ahs their own. ill be getting a bank change soon to have insurances and breakdown included anyway so im not too bothered. saved 60 quid there at least.

Tony Hoyle

May 7, 2019
Stockport, UK
I'd still have breakdown provided the offer was decent.. Tesla recovery is slow (reports of them taking an hour to answer the phone) and really only deals with warranty issues with a best effort on things like tyres. If you're stuck halfway across the country because a hedgehog went through your window they're not going to be a lot of use.

SSonnentag

Let’s go Brandon!
Apr 11, 2017
Arizona
I don't know how vehicle insurance works in the UK, but in the US your previous vehicle insurance typically covers your new vehicle for anywhere from 7-30 days after the purchase. This is plenty of time to notify your insurance company of the change. I'm not sure why people attempt to make this change before the vehicle swap.

Palros

Aug 14, 2019
St neots
I don't know how vehicle insurance works in the UK, but in the US your previous vehicle insurance typically covers your new vehicle for anywhere from 7-30 days after the purchase. This is plenty of time to notify your insurance company of the change. I'm not sure why people attempt to make this change before the vehicle swap.

No it does not work anything like that in the UK.

Jason71

May 8, 2019
Shropshire
They do it because that is how it works in the UK. The best I have ever had was both cars covered on the day I collected. even that is not the norm. usually you have to provide a time.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC