Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurence not accepting new reg

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume you don't have the car yet if you are being emailed a reg?
if the insurers are using the DVLA's publicly accessible database which basically everyone is either directly or indirectly then the regnumber will not appear on there until the day AFTER the V5c is printed which is usually the day after it is registered ( unless its a weekend in which case it takes longer).
So basically no there is nowhere that they will be able to find it at this stage.

give the VIN number to get insurance cover if that is Op's issue

If you give them a VIN, then you are at risk of a last minute car change. We had exactly that on day of collection, but thankfully the VIN was not registered for insurance so it did not count as a car change that some insurers penalise you for if you have too many in quick succession.

turns out they could match when called . they also advised don't take the breakdown recovery as tesla ahs their own. ill be getting a bank change soon to have insurances and breakdown included anyway so im not too bothered. saved 60 quid there at least.

I'd still have breakdown provided the offer was decent.. Tesla recovery is slow (reports of them taking an hour to answer the phone) and really only deals with warranty issues with a best effort on things like tyres. If you're stuck halfway across the country because a hedgehog went through your window they're not going to be a lot of use.

I don't know how vehicle insurance works in the UK, but in the US your previous vehicle insurance typically covers your new vehicle for anywhere from 7-30 days after the purchase. This is plenty of time to notify your insurance company of the change. I'm not sure why people attempt to make this change before the vehicle swap.

I don't know how vehicle insurance works in the UK, but in the US your previous vehicle insurance typically covers your new vehicle for anywhere from 7-30 days after the purchase. This is plenty of time to notify your insurance company of the change. I'm not sure why people attempt to make this change before the vehicle swap.

No it does not work anything like that in the UK.

They do it because that is how it works in the UK. The best I have ever had was both cars covered on the day I collected. even that is not the norm. usually you have to provide a time.