Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #27 is available now with topics time-stamped. We discussed: Consolidation in LiDAR manufacturers; Volvo EX90 shipping with LiDAR; FSD Beta Full Release in N.A.; FSD detecting autopilot cheats, Gwen Shotwell directly overseeing SpaceX Starship; and more. You can watch it now on YouTube. We should have it published to podcast networks shortly.

Insurence not accepting new reg

Jason71

May 8, 2019
Shropshire
I assume you don't have the car yet if you are being emailed a reg?
if the insurers are using the DVLA's publicly accessible database which basically everyone is either directly or indirectly then the regnumber will not appear on there until the day AFTER the V5c is printed which is usually the day after it is registered ( unless its a weekend in which case it takes longer).
So basically no there is nowhere that they will be able to find it at this stage.

MrBadger

Badger out
Jun 17, 2019
Surrey, UK
give the VIN number to get insurance cover if that is Op's issue

If you give them a VIN, then you are at risk of a last minute car change. We had exactly that on day of collection, but thankfully the VIN was not registered for insurance so it did not count as a car change that some insurers penalise you for if you have too many in quick succession.

I'd still have breakdown provided the offer was decent.. Tesla recovery is slow (reports of them taking an hour to answer the phone) and really only deals with warranty issues with a best effort on things like tyres. If you're stuck halfway across the country because a hedgehog went through your window they're not going to be a lot of use.

SSonnentag

埃隆•馬斯克
Apr 11, 2017
Arizona
I don't know how vehicle insurance works in the UK, but in the US your previous vehicle insurance typically covers your new vehicle for anywhere from 7-30 days after the purchase. This is plenty of time to notify your insurance company of the change. I'm not sure why people attempt to make this change before the vehicle swap.

I don't know how vehicle insurance works in the UK, but in the US your previous vehicle insurance typically covers your new vehicle for anywhere from 7-30 days after the purchase. This is plenty of time to notify your insurance company of the change. I'm not sure why people attempt to make this change before the vehicle swap.

No it does not work anything like that in the UK.

Jason71

May 8, 2019
Shropshire
They do it because that is how it works in the UK. The best I have ever had was both cars covered on the day I collected. even that is not the norm. usually you have to provide a time.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC