Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Insurer Gives Discount for Using Tesla’s Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The impact of new automotive technologies like autonomous driving are beginning to show in the insurance industry.

Britain’s largest motor insurer Direct Line told Reuters it is offering Tesla drivers in Britain a 5 percent discount for using Autopilot.

“At present the driver is firmly in charge so it’s just like insuring other cars, but it does offer Direct Line a great opportunity to learn and prepare for the future,” said Dan Freedman, Head of Motor Development at Direct Line.

A U.S.-based start-up insurance company called Root announced a similar offer this year. A company blog post in March said:

Why a discount for Tesla cars? It’s simple: they crash less. According to a recent report from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the crash rate of Tesla vehicles plummeted almost 40% after Autosteer (Tesla’s “self-driving” software) became available.

A 40% decrease. That’s significant. Root believes that falling crash rates means the car insurance industry should adjust rates in response.

A study earlier this year suggested that Tesla owners pay higher than average premiums due to high-than-average claim rates and repair costs. Tesla challenged the study’s accuracy. Still, CEO Elon Musk has said insurers need to provide more incentives for Tesla owners. To that end, Tesla has launched its own branded insurance programs, underwritten by insurers in the U.S., Canada, Australia and Hong Kong.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have AP1 and it just keeps getting better. There is a section of I-80 between Truckee and Reno that I drive frequently. This is a steep, winding road with narrow shoulders. At first, AP1 could not handle this at all. Lately, it's been nearly perfect.
AP2 should get to a similar level of proficiency.
Of course, TACC is probably the most effective feature to prevent accidents.
I left Ca AAA insurance when they announced a penalty for Teslas and have much cheaper insurance now. Hopefully, as insurance companies get more data, we'll see better prices.

I have contacted both Liberty Mutual and SafeCo as I am buying a 2017 MS. I have a CDL truck drivers license with a fuel tanker endorsement, no tickets and no accidents. I have most of my vehicles in an LLC and neither insurance company has yet returned a call or email. Any suggestions ?

Last edited: