Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurer that I can stick with?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had dealings with Poncho insurance?

Insure My Tesla - Motor Vehicle Insurance

Was browsing their PDS and see you have no choice of repairer. I am not overly fussed about that. Their premiums certainly very competitive. Be interested to hear how others have found them.
I was tempted also, but there’s some info that they use (or can use)secondhand parts. It’s probably a reasonable point that there are few parts cars available at the moment so secondhand parts are unlikely, but there will be eventually and I don’t want this on my new car.
This plus the lack of choice on repairer was a deal breaker for me.

I’m with Shannon’s, mainly because I already have several policies with them. Comminsure looked good also, marginally more expensive than Shannon’s.

• Informative
Reactions: Flatbat
I was tempted also, but there’s some info that they use (or can use)secondhand parts. It’s probably a reasonable point that there are few parts cars available at the moment so secondhand parts are unlikely, but there will be eventually and I don’t want this on my new car.
This plus the lack of choice on repairer was a deal breaker for me.
Considering non-Tesla smash repairers can't even order Tesla parts, I'll think we'll be OK. If you are wanting to choose between different Tesla-approved repairers, I may see your point. There's only one in my city that I'm aware of anyway.

They apparently 'consulted extensively with Tesla' when coming up with the product (incl. automatic glass cover & charging cables covered), so I'm sure Tesla let them know about the repair situation.

Reactions: Leeroy
I think I will go with Poncho.
Am currently with GIO and they have been deceptive to me in their annual renewal process. I believe they have underinsured my car in an attempt to keep their premium increase down to a mere 15%. This year they dropped my cars agreed value from $89012 to $64000. This might be be OK, except if I go into any of the Suncorp insurers websites and enter my specific car details, the minimum Suncorp, GIO or Aami will insure my car for is an agreed value of $76500 (all three insurers quote precisely $76500). They cannot explain to me why my renewal has undervalued my car by $12500 from this figure. Either everyone else is over insured with them or I am underinsured. The can't have it both ways. So I asked GIO to raise my agreed value by $12500 to match the minimum on their groups websites. This produces a premium increase of 47% for me this year! Again this may still represent reasonable value. However I have lost faith in them after they generated my renewal with the BS agreed value, unique to me, that they cannot explain. I recommend anyone else insuring with this group, that you compare any changes in your agreed value with what they offer on their website, come renewal time.

Reactions: OzVic