Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insuring a new Tesla $$$

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my new 2017 model S. Traded in a 2016 Porsche Cayenne. Called my insurance company and got an outrageous quote for coverage. 50% more than the Porsche Cayenne (which was more expensive!). No accidents or tickets in more than 20 years! Just wondering if anyone has had better luck?

Go online; try Progressive. If you have a second car, get a quote from them for BOTH at once. It was by far the most inexpensive option for me; under $1000 (for 6 months) for comprehensive coverage for 2016 Model S 75 + 2015 Nissan Rogue.

Reactions: renshcp
I'm with USAA, four cars on the policy so some discounts for that, living in fairly rural part of Colorado, and pay just over $600 every 6 months on a late 2016 MS. That's only $200 more than I pay on a 2016 Subaru Impreza that only cost me $17K to buy used. Perfect driving record for the past 20 years. So there are some reasonable rates out there, but there are a bunch of factors that go into that rate, most notably where you live.

Awaiting delivery for inventory car I purchased several days ago and just asked for some quotes. I already have insurance through Geico for two other cars and came to $480/6 months. Obviously rate will depend on type of coverage and deductible. For reference, it costs the same as my Audi Q5 and 06 Corolla combined.

I got a quote of $510 from progressive- but this is only for sole coverage of tesla and not my other cars.

When I bought my Tesla Allstate quoted me almost three times what I was paying to insure a Cadillac CTS. Shopped around found a range of quotes ended up with State Farm. Final price was $35 a year less than I paid for the Cadillac.

Shop around you should be able to find reasonable insurance.

I have my renewal right in front of me, as I renew on 7/25. I am now paying 1,711.92. Perfect record, supposedly 9K mi/yr. It has creeped up over the last three years. I think I started at about 1,300, which is what I was paying for my Acura SUV that was 25% the cost of my baby. So, not so happy about the increase. I have only Tesla parts for any repairs. No third party vendors. I'm in Santa Cruz. Carrier is Nationwide/Allied. I have an amazing broker who runs all my business and personal, if you want a referral.

AAA of California is $1400/year for coverage (250/500/250).

$1000 deductible and I have 2 other vehicles and a home insured by AAA.

There are many discounts involved here including:
High Credit Score
Member of University Alumni Assoc
Multiple Car
Home Owner
No tickets in last 3 years
No accidents in last 3 years

Also, if you get into an accident and the other driver is insured by AAA, AAA waives the deductibles for both drivers....maybe an anomaly but who knows.

Last edited: