Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insuring a new Tesla $$$

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As others say, shop around. Rates vary quite a bit. How much each person pays won't be an apple to apples comparison, of course. We all know that where we live, age, how far we drive, our accident and ticket history, whether we bundle other cars and/or home insurance, education, profession, etc, etc.

All caveats aside, here is a portion of the spreadsheet I made for myself when I recently went to find auto insurance for the new Model S and my wife's RDX. We went with $250k/$300k/$100k coverage (or as close as possible...some insurers had $300K/$300K/$100K and others might have $250k/$500k/$100k). We specified a $1000 deductible.

Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 7.42.16 PM.png

Takeaways (for our quotes - your mileage may vary!):

1) Geico was almost half the price of Allstate
2) Even given AAA's stated raising of Tesla rates...it was basically tied for the second cheapest quote we received. So don't automatically rule them out.

As others say, shop around. Rates vary quite a bit. How much each person pays won't be an apple to apples comparison, of course. We all know that where we live, age, how far we drive, our accident and ticket history, whether we bundle other cars and/or home insurance, education, profession, etc, etc.

All caveats aside, here is a portion of the spreadsheet I made for myself when I recently went to find auto insurance for the new Model S and my wife's RDX. We went with $250k/$300k/$100k coverage (or as close as possible...some insurers had $300K/$300K/$100K and others might have $250k/$500k/$100k). We specified a $1000 deductible.

View attachment 234954

Takeaways (for our quotes - your mileage may vary!):

1) Geico was almost half the price of Allstate
2) Even given AAA's stated raising of Tesla rates...it was basically tied for the second cheapest quote we received. So don't automatically rule them out.

I live in the same town as you, and found similar relative pricing of many of those insurers. My 2nd car is a bit older, so my 2-car quotes were lower than yours, but Geico was the lowest and my then-insurer Allstate was the highest by almost twice. Progressive and Ameriprise (through Costco) were in the middle. esurance (ironically owned by Allstate) seemed like it was coming in lowest, but it couldn't recognize my Tesla VIN so I could never get a definitive quote online.

Not surprisingly, I switched from Allstate to Geico at the beginning of July.

After getting few more quotes, seems like progressive is the cheaper alternative by about $300/6months. Not sure what happened in the last 2 weeks with Geico - guess i just caught them before they adjusted their tesla rates.

That would be a bummer as I just switched to Geico, if I have to do this all over again if Geico's renewal in six months comes out ridiculous if they've increased their Tesla rates.

Even in Los Angeles County I was able to secure solid coverage (with the usual handful of discounts) for under $1200/year for a new S90D earlier this year. Chose Progressive. They have both gap insurance and CSL (combined single limit liability coverage).

Previously been with Geico, Costco/Ameriprise, and Wawanesa. It pays to shop around at least annually.

If you are interested in stated/replacement value coverage, consider either Chubb or Allstate.

AAA here was and remains laughably bad. They quoted $2800 just for collision.

I live in the same town as you, and found similar relative pricing of many of those insurers. My 2nd car is a bit older, so my 2-car quotes were lower than yours, but Geico was the lowest and my then-insurer Allstate was the highest by almost twice. Progressive and Ameriprise (through Costco) were in the middle. esurance (ironically owned by Allstate) seemed like it was coming in lowest, but it couldn't recognize my Tesla VIN so I could never get a definitive quote online.

Not surprisingly, I switched from Allstate to Geico at the beginning of July.

We switched from AAA to Geico. But was interesting that AAA was virtually second lowest price. We still have a 3rd car and home insurance with AAA but will likely be moving those as well.