Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insuring a novel vehicle like a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GDH, that number seems excessively high to me. I'm an existing State Farm customer, and was quoted $563.64 for six months, using their online tool, without needing a VIN.

Coverage includes:
$250K per person/$500K per accident bodily injury, and uninsured motorist
$100K per accident property damage
$25K personal injury protection
$250 deductible (comprehensive and collision)

Here's what I got from Liberty Mutual.....

Hi Grant,

I have a summery below of the estimated for your Model S. We are 1216.50 every months. Please let me know if you have any questions. –Randy

Annual Policy
Liability 100/300/100 $582.00
PIP $90.00
UM 100/300 $66.00
$500 Comp $390.00
$500 Collision $1266.00
Rental 30/900 $33.00
Tow 50 $6.00

Total: $2433.00

Randy #####

Auto/Home/Life Insurance
Sales Representative
Liberty Mutual Insurance

I'll reiterate my caution that it's nigh-on impossible to draw any inference about your rates from what others are being quoted. It matters enormously where you garage your vehicle (ZIP code), driving history, expected mileage, etc. We do learn something from seeing how two quotes for the same person differ across insurers.

Been with USAA for at least two decades. Followed up with them for a confirmed quote once I had VIN. Their rate was 2x previous "preliminary" quote. I asked if there were any errors/fat fingered the entries. Confirmed all was correct.

I called GIECO, got same coverage for 1/2 USAA rate. Made the switch and moved along.