Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insuring two Tesla Model 3s under the same policy with two drivers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla just opened up insurance in Maryland, where my wife and I both one a 2018 Model 3 and a 2019 Model 3. I noticed in the app that I can now add a policy to my account, and I can include both of our cars and both of us on the policy.

My question really is, do we then have two separate safety scores? Four? 1 per driver? 1 per driver per car? How does the app handle this sort of thing? Or is it better for us to take out two separate policies, one for my car under my name (with her added as a driver) and one for her car under her name (with me as an added driver)?

Have you checked around to see if it's any cheaper than traditional insurance companies?
I think it's significantly cheaper...hard to know until I can nudge the safety score up from the initial 90 to 99ish. I got accepted into FSD Beta with a 99 score last fall. Most of my driving is on AP/NoA/FSDBeta so I shouldn't have any issues getting a super high safety score. But at 90, they quoted me $105/mo, which is comparable to what I'm paying now with Geico.

Honestly, with how much data Tesla collects on their insurance cars, I'd be much happier paying a little more to stay outside of Tesla insurance. If it's available in your area and you're a Costco member, check out their auto insurance through American Family. The cost was incrementally higher than what I was quoted by Tesla insurance with a 95 driving score.

Yeah, I just couldn't get used to my auto insurance company "watching" me drive all the time.

There are plenty of people who drive the speed limit, slow starts, cautious, and yet are poor drivers.

I've had ten speeding tickets and launch the car as often as I can... yet still consider myself a safe driver. Never been in an accident and always acutely aware of everything going on around me. My Tesla insurance would likely be through the roof.

Yeah, I just couldn't get used to my auto insurance company "watching" me drive all the time.

There are plenty of people who drive the speed limit, slow starts, cautious, and yet are poor drivers.

I've had ten speeding tickets and launch the car as often as I can... yet still consider myself a safe driver. Never been in an accident and always acutely aware of everything going on around me. My Tesla insurance would likely be through the roof.
Hard acceleration and spirited driving doesn't affect your score. What does affect and increase likelihood of a crash is follow distance.

Tesla just opened up insurance in Maryland, where my wife and I both one a 2018 Model 3 and a 2019 Model 3. I noticed in the app that I can now add a policy to my account, and I can include both of our cars and both of us on the policy.

My question really is, do we then have two separate safety scores? Four? 1 per driver? 1 per driver per car? How does the app handle this sort of thing? Or is it better for us to take out two separate policies, one for my car under my name (with her added as a driver) and one for her car under her name (with me as an added driver)?
Tesla gave us a discount for multi vehicle policy, so it was less expensive for us in Arizona.