Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Integrated dash cam possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Boourns

Mar 9, 2016
Dallas
I have been looking for a dash cam for my wife's car and it got me thinking: Since we suspect that the Model 3 will have the hardware for next-level autonomous driving, could the same hardware be used to have some kind of integrated dash cam? I don't know if Autopilot utilizes the same kind of high-def cameras used in a dash cam setup. If so, the ideal situation would be a camera seamlessly integrated into the car that writes to a hard drive or SD card, which can be taken out of the car if you need to access the footage.

All of the aftermarket options I have seen usually involve a bunch of ugly wires. It would be great to have the option to have a nice clean dash cam setup without any of that.

Is this possible? Would any of you check that option box if available?

I have been looking for a dash cam for my wife's car and it got me thinking: Since we suspect that the Model 3 will have the hardware for next-level autonomous driving, could the same hardware be used to have some kind of integrated dash cam?
Is this possible? Would any of you check that option box if available?

Yes, it is possible. Some cars are already offering this. You just need to insert a SD card or USB flash drive.

However, I doubt this would be offered. The demand for this feature is very small - certainly not a deal breaker for anyone looking at this car. At this point, they have their hands full - so I think they would concentrate on the big things first before they would divert resources for a "niche" feature.