TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Integrated dash cam possible?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Boourns, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Boourns

Boourns Member

I have been looking for a dash cam for my wife's car and it got me thinking: Since we suspect that the Model 3 will have the hardware for next-level autonomous driving, could the same hardware be used to have some kind of integrated dash cam? I don't know if Autopilot utilizes the same kind of high-def cameras used in a dash cam setup. If so, the ideal situation would be a camera seamlessly integrated into the car that writes to a hard drive or SD card, which can be taken out of the car if you need to access the footage.

All of the aftermarket options I have seen usually involve a bunch of ugly wires. It would be great to have the option to have a nice clean dash cam setup without any of that.

Is this possible? Would any of you check that option box if available?

• Like x 3
  2. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

I'd really like that option.

3. yesup

yesup Member

Yes, it is possible. Some cars are already offering this. You just need to insert a SD card or USB flash drive.

However, I doubt this would be offered. The demand for this feature is very small - certainly not a deal breaker for anyone looking at this car. At this point, they have their hands full - so I think they would concentrate on the big things first before they would divert resources for a "niche" feature.