Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Integrated Dash Cam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most Tesla owners have installed the Blackvue 650. It has its drawbacks but works pretty well. There is good documentation on doing a clean install into the Tesla for both cameras.
You don't happen to have a link to install documentation specifically for a Tesla Model S at hands?

And can you summarize the drawbacks of the BlackVue please?

That Tesla DashCam / Tesla DVR would be ideal, especially since it's really stealthy, but feature-wise I'd really prefer the BlackVue. I wonder if your local Tesla Store / Service Center can install a BlackVue before they hand over your new vehicle.

I really like the Tesla DVRs appearance. I already have a Blackvue 2ch but I can see the appeal of this for sure. That said, I don't really even think about or see my Blackvue and passengers usually don't comment on it. Tucked behind the rear view mirror, it's relatively inconspicuous. Since the Blackvue is visible from the outside, it could be an attractant to thieves, although I've not really heard of people getting their cars broken into to steal a dashcam.

Any sample video of the Tesla DVR? Especially night view? You can get these from Aliexpress for $300 USD.

That's the jist of it but at step (5), the wire can be threaded/fished through the cabling duct so no wires are visible at all. I think wk057 has a thread posted on how he did it. It's the same method that my installer used also.

The major drawback of the Blackvue is the iPhone software. Loading videos (even thumbnails) is painfully slow and can take a while when I really want to pull a video off it. It's so slow that it makes it hard to review videos casually to see if anything fishy's been going on.

Beyond that, the hardware features are all excellent. It's reliable. The image quality is excellent. Has front and back cameras and is discrete enough that nobody even knows it's there except for me.

Well, I'm not using an iPhone, but Android instead, so that would not be an issue. I have looked at that Tesla Model S installation guide, but it looks reasonably complicated, and I really would want to have it installed professionally. What are usual costs to have a such a BlackVue installed by a company? Though I would not even know any company around here to ask for such a job, if the Tesla Service Center is not willing to do it before delivery.

I really like the Tesla DVRs appearance. I already have a Blackvue 2ch but I can see the appeal of this for sure. That said, I don't really even think about or see my Blackvue and passengers usually don't comment on it. Tucked behind the rear view mirror, it's relatively inconspicuous. Since the Blackvue is visible from the outside, it could be an attractant to thieves, although I've not really heard of people getting their cars broken into to steal a dashcam.

Any sample video of the Tesla DVR? Especially night view? You can get these from Aliexpress for $300 USD.
The tesladashcam.com site has at least one sample and here's a sample of its night view.

Attachments

• tesladashcam night IMG_3893.jpg
    tesladashcam night IMG_3893.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 65
I thought I read the blackVue GPS can't go through the windshield anyway...am I mistaken? That would make somewhat of a difference for me as well...

It does and it doesn't. Sometimes it can find the signal (maybe bouncing in another way)? But it does sometimes pick it up.

I have mine installed in same location as a lot of the others around here, just behind the rear view mirror.

I have been using a Thinkware 750 for 8 months and love it. I get HD front and rear feeds with incident and parking recording. GPS does NOT work through the windshield (but this is a good thing :) ).
For anyone who wants GPS, it works fine through the windshield on my Thinkware 750. You have to place it fairly carefully to the right of the mirror (where Tesla recommends transponders be place), but it looks fine there.