Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Integration with Google Home / Google Assistant - Now available for general use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not sure I understand your reply.
Not sure what FSD has got to do with it.

I’m off on a trip in the morning. I have a google home device next to my bed. It’s easier to send the destination with my voice than opening google maps, searching for the destination and then sharing it to the car.

@Gol4

Think I’ve found a U.K. bug.

When I ask the car for the range the figure given by EV Car is different to the Tesla or other apps.

Here in the U.K. we use “ideal” range.

On the screenshot below that is 209 miles yet EV car is quoting 261 miles when asked.

477AFE80-52DA-4622-B6EA-E3F4B70DF8D7.jpeg

@Gol4

When I ask the car for the range the figure given by EV Car is different to the Tesla or other apps.

On the screenshot below that is 209 miles yet EV car is quoting 261 miles when asked.

View attachment 516687
@Gol4

View attachment 516687

Yes you are right. If your Display setting is set to "Ideal" instead of "Rated", we should display the corresponding value (which is available in the API). This will be part of the next update. Thanks.

Wondering if there is any update on this issue? EV Car is great...if the car is awake...otherwise I have to get into the Tesla app to wake my car first, which defeats the purpose of what I am trying to do: "Okay Google, get ready to leave" would give me state of charge and turn on HVAC. I tried issuing a dummy command at the beginning, then go off and do some extra stuff like tell me the weather, tell me about my commute, tell me a joke and then try the range and HVAC commands, but the car is still not awake, even though from the Tesla app the car wakes up in just a few seconds.

Does the count to 100 trick actually work? Does it eventually wake up on its own?

Architecturally, can EV Car add a command to "wake up my car" and then keep re-checking the car for wake status in a loop (until a really large number of attempts were unsuccessful)?

Is this actually a Tesla API bug? I wonder why the app works well, but 3rd party apps wouldn't. I thought 3rd party apps were basically just copying the Tesla app API calls.

Not to sound like a whiner on my first post in this thread, so I'll close with my thanks for a really great job with this. When the car is awake and EV Car works, it is marvelous. So thank you!

The basic problem is that I don't have access to a Model 3 to test this out on :)
I see a connect issue on my Model X sometimes but it almost always works when I try it again right away. Actually the first thing this app does is send a "Wake" command to the Tesla. Google imposes a 5 second limit to return a result for a command so it cant just wait forever for the car to wake up.

The basic problem is that I don't have access to a Model 3 to test this out on :)
I see a connect issue on my Model X sometimes but it almost always works when I try it again right away. Actually the first thing this app does is send a "Wake" command to the Tesla. Google imposes a 5 second limit to return a result for a command so it cant just wait forever for the car to wake up.

Thanks for the response.

Is there any way I can help you with this quandary?

By the way, I did try the "Count to 100" trick and even that is not long enough for the Model 3 to wake up. I get the sense it will never wake up with whatever API calls you are using.

It's surprising to me that the Model 3 would have a different "wake" command than the Model X (and S?), but I guess it is what it is.

Is the API you are using a public one? Can you point me to it so I can experiment? Is it possible for you to use my car for you to experiment with (when it's not being used of course)?

Thanks for the response.

Is there any way I can help you with this quandary?

By the way, I did try the "Count to 100" trick and even that is not long enough for the Model 3 to wake up. I get the sense it will never wake up with whatever API calls you are using.

It's surprising to me that the Model 3 would have a different "wake" command than the Model X (and S?), but I guess it is what it is.

Is the API you are using a public one? Can you point me to it so I can experiment? Is it possible for you to use my car for you to experiment with (when it's not being used of course)?

Thanks for your offer. Let me setup a separate web app where there are no timeout limits and we can try to analyze the logs and figure out whats going on. Will set up a private conversation when its ready (probably next day or two). Thanks.

Hi there all,
and first of all thanks a lot Gol4 for this great google action.

I have a problem to set all foe an italian language.
I just make some routines but I don't know what to use in the comand field.

I try to add the english language to my google assistant and insert "Talk to EV car" command in english
... but it give me the search results.
The strange thinks is that if I speek to assistant mic: "Talk to EV car" it's work.
I also unlinked and relinked the action and reboot the phone...

Anybody can tell me please what can I try in order to make it work please ?

Thanks in advance
Denis

I try to add the english language to my google assistant and insert "Talk to EV car" command in english
... but it give me the search results.
The strange thinks is that if I speek to assistant mic: "Talk to EV car" it's work.
I also unlinked and relinked the action and reboot the phone...

Anybody can tell me please what can I try in order to make it work please ?

When you are creating a routine, you want to use the phrase "Ask EV car <command>" or "Tell EV car to <command>".

Using "Talk to EV car" puts you into an interactive mode with EV car, whereas "Ask EV car" and "Tell EV car to" will execute the command you want directly.

So I add again the english language to the google assistant
and when I start assistance and I speek "Tell EV car to unlock the car" it's work.

But when I make a routine with command "Tell EV car to unlock the car" it give me the web search
It's like if I do it in interactive recognize the english language and if I do it in the routine it want italian language.

I don't know how to make the routine work please

Thanks a lot for the help
Denis

So I add again the english language to the google assistant
and when I start assistance and I speek "Tell EV car to unlock the car" it's work.

But when I make a routine with command "Tell EV car to unlock the car" it give me the web search
It's like if I do it in interactive recognize the english language and if I do it in the routine it want italian language.

Your explanation sounds feasible. Unfortunately that sounds like it might be an issue with the Google Assistant's way of working.

I'm using iOS and this is the first time I'm using my Google Home Mini to do anything other than telling the time - but I can't seem to follow the instructions. They are either old or not suitable to iOS.. can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

Yes, I have been doing some testing with @Gol4 and we are reaching the same conclusion.

I don't want to speak for him, but we have also determined that simple "status" commands won't trigger the car to wake up, but a "command" will. So a very effective way to wake up your Model 3 with EV Car is to:

"Ask EV car to flash my lights"

and then your next command should work.