Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Integration with Google Home / Google Assistant - Now available for general use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But if it can’t contact the car wouldn’t even asking it to flash the lights fail?

The point is that the "flash the lights" command will likely fail if your car is asleep, but it will start by trying to wake the car up.

That way, by the time you issue your second command (the one you really want to do), the car will be awake and responsive.

And if the car happens to be awake, or wake up quickly, then the flash the lights command is relatively harmless.

The point is you want the first command to be something that actually makes the car do something, rather than just retrieve status.

I tried changing my Google routine from:

"How far can I drive"
"Turn on climate"

(which failed for me, even when I put in a significant delay (count to 100) in between those two commands)

to:

"Flash my lights"
"Turn on climate"

(with no delay in between)

and it worked great! Give it a try!

Thanks to @RTPEV for patiently helping triage the issue. The 3 does seem to go into a deeper sleep state and takes longer to wake up. The S and X have an always-connected option which is not there in a 3. Based on our testing, it seems like it takes about 7 seconds to wake up a Model 3. Unfortunately Google has a 5 second timeout which cannot be changed. So in all likelihood the action would fail the first time you try it and the car was asleep.

This situation was made worse by a bug in EV Car that was not calling wake_ip every time. It was not being called for commands that just return status. That issue has been fixed now so your interaction with EV car fails the first time around, it should work in the second iteration. Let me know if that doesn't happen.

As per @RTPEV suggestion, I am also considering adding a new command that does nothing but wake up. You could use it seamlessly in a routine. That will involves changing the voice model and going through the approval cycle with Google so will take some time.

Hi Gol4,
Just letting you know that your latest change also improved connection to my new 2020 Model S, with software 2020.8.1

Prior to your latest change, Google Assistant would never connect to the car unless I first connect to the car with the Tesla app. Multiple subsequent attempts to connect would also fail.

Now, the first attempt by Google Assistant fails, but the 2nd is successful. Note that this car does not have the always-connected option, similar as M3, so I suspect it also needs 2 attempts to get around the 7 second wakeup latency.

BTW awesome work on the feature, thank you

Reactions: Gol4
Hello,

What would it takes to helo to bring the App to Tesla Owners outside the US?

If it is only a Language problem i can help. I already worked with others Developers in translating their Apps. Either with simple Word Files. XML Files or directly with GIT.

I am sure other Useres would also love to use Talk to EV.

Regards

Lars

Its been working fine for me. If it can't reach Google at all it could be a network or Google issue. Do other Home Assistant commands work fine when you see this issue?
Other assistant commands work ok. The error "cant reach Google at the moment" comes up after EV Car is summoned and I try to speak EV Car command - I can type EV car commands and it executes them ok. I've tried unlinking and relinking multiple times to no avail.

I just tried this and work fine for sending to a Google Home and Phones on account.

Attachments

• upload_2020-6-24_12-35-59.png
    upload_2020-6-24_12-35-59.png
    62.4 KB · Views: 109