Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Integration with Google Home / Google Assistant - Now available for general use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this app will come back but the features that Google wants changed will take a while to implement. Its not just about enabling the PIN but also changing the backend infrastructure to enable saving of individual account information (including PIN). I can't commit on when this will be done.

In the meantime use Alexa :)

So this app will come back but the features that Google wants changed will take a while to implement. Its not just about enabling the PIN but also changing the backend infrastructure to enable saving of individual account information (including PIN). I can't commit on when this will be done.

OK. Thanks for the explanation. Unfortunately, I don't have Alexa - went totally with Google. Will monitor this post for when you get it working (or decide to bag it).

Have a great, safe weekend...

Noooo. Alexa is the devil. Haha. I refuse to use Amazon after they decided to cancel my account for no reason and leave my 10 or so Alexa devices with a purple ring. In which I've switched to Google for everything. Hope you can bring this feature back!

Reactions: FMinMI

Thank you for keeping us posted and building this for the community.

I'll definitely not go with Alexa though :D

Hopefully they won't give you too much trouble

Quite a few of my other applications, including one to open the garage door have also had this PIN requirement added. A shame, because the experience is much less fluid when you have to say your PIN. Plus it means another pin to remember, because you don't want to be yelling your PIN for your garage door or whatever in public anyway.

Pc_speaker You can set up a Google routine and put your PIN in it so that you don't have to say it out loud. I used to use it on my Bolt. For instance, on your phone:

Google App > More > Settings > Google Assistant > Routines > New Custom Routine:

When I say: "Hey Google, start the Bolt"
Do: "Hey Google, talk to My Chevrolet. Start my Chevy Bolt EV. 1234"
(the empty spaces are pauses to allow the assistant and the app to process / reply)

I'm sure the same could be done with any other integration if they add a PIN requirement.

• Informative
Reactions: RTPEV

@Pc_speaker You can set up a Google routine and put your PIN in it so that you don't have to say it out loud. I used to use it on my Bolt. For instance, on your phone:

Google App > More > Settings > Google Assistant > Routines > New Custom Routine:

Gol4 - Would this work for the Tesla issue using Google? Or is it a different problem? BTW, I don't have a PIN set up for my car...

Frank

Damn...if only I had found this post months ago. :oops:
Do I regret any of the thousands of lines of code I wrote for this? 🥵Maybe...but it was a fun covid project.

I really liked Gol4's program and used it frequently until Google broke it. He said he was going to work on it but several months have passed so I assume the priority is very low on his list. Would love to get that functionality again - are you sharing the app?

Thanks.

I really liked Gol4's program and used it frequently until Google broke it. He said he was going to work on it but several months have passed so I assume the priority is very low on his list. Would love to get that functionality again - are you sharing the app?

Thanks.
I will just open source once I figure out how to automate the deployment such that anyone who want to use it can simply deploy their own instance in cloud and never have to send/share their password/token and never have to worry about legal ramification of being shut down by google or tesla.

Reactions: tlr1000 and FMinMI
I am trying to get Google Assistant to talk to my model 3 but can not find either Ev Car app or Eviecar app. I have gone back through half a dozen pages here and am not sure if they exist now?

Can someone please tell me what the current situation is, or if there is another way to get Google to talk to the car?

Thanks
John