Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Integration with Google Home / Google Assistant - Now available for general use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are commands that are non-obvious ?? :)
I will compile a list of commands and associated actions. In the mean time if you have specific one you are curious about, let me know.

It does not do summon. Alexa does not allow anything that unlocks or moves the car. Not sure what Google's policy is. This could be something we can try and push for if there is sufficient interest.

Yes please :)

seems I am missing a thing to get this working, Is there some other language or region setting which keeping me from using this?
i've linked my account, setup the assistant preferences, but if i speak 'ok google' and any of the commands, it results in the search function of google.

for testing i have iset the language to English US, region is default. seems also not to work.

• Disagree
Reactions: McRat
That behavior seems to happen on older version of Android. Its seems to fallback to using the older Google Now instead of Google Assistant. The EV Car action can only be started from Google Assistant. This what the screen looks like when Google Assistant is active:
Screenshot_2017-06-27-15-31-21-1.png

• Informative
Reactions: nico180
thanks @Gol4 - as a UK user I initially changed the phone language to US english to get the Google Asistant installed and working, then removed US English again and got the above message.

What I found subsequently was it works if I leave both languages installed with UK English as #1, US English as #2.

very cool and many thanks.

would be fantastic if you could find a way to substitute the car's name for ev car though ;)

I just tried out EV car. It is wonderful! I find Google more often does the right thing if I say "OK Google ask EV car ..." rather then "OK Google tell EV car..."
Now if I can just find a way to get my Samsung S8+ to listen for the OK Google prompt when the screen is off, I won't even have to take my phone out of my pocket.

If that doesn't work, click on the blue icon on the top right, scroll down to the "Travel and Transport" section, Look for EV Car there and you should see a button for "Link" account

When I do a "talk to EV car", I get the "you are not linked" message. Touching that just flashes.

If I do the above, which apparently just takes you to https://assistant.google.com/services/a/id/5a33fba4f93f74bc/, I get prompted for credentials.

I get the below screen. But when I click "continue" the screen just refreshes with the same thing. Clear cache did not help. Have not yet tried to reinstall the app. Google home still says "not linked".

Samsung Galaxy s7, not rooted.

Any ideas? Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170703-115545.png
    Screenshot_20170703-115545.png
    128.3 KB · Views: 62
When I do a "talk to EV car", I get the "you are not linked" message. Touching that just flashes.

If I do the above, which apparently just takes you to https://assistant.google.com/services/a/id/5a33fba4f93f74bc/, I get prompted for credentials.

I get the below screen. But when I click "continue" the screen just refreshes with the same thing. Clear cache did not help. Have not yet tried to reinstall the app. Google home still says "not linked".

Any ideas? Thank you.

I tried this again on a older LG G4. Clicking on the Continue button closes that screen and bring you back to the Google Action listing page. It then shows that its Linked. From my experience, Google Assistant works very well on Samsung S8 and iPhones. On the older G4 I often have to force stop and clear cache for the "Google App". Reinstalling is pretty extreme but might be worth trying of nothing else works.

Any ideas? Thank you.

I figured out a way around this if anyone is in a similar situation. When on the above URL (or simular) within Google Home, you will see 3 dots on the top-right of the screen. Touch that and choose "open in Chrome". The link registration page opens in Chrome instead of Home and I was able to link/register successfully. Now it works great!

Reactions: Gol4
Very cool, thanks!

On a related note -- I just got my new (first!) 90D recently, and after pairing up my Pixel, have been wondering if there is a way to get this voice thing to work in reverse -- in other words, to speak to the Google Assistant on my phone via the Bluetooth connection using the car's microphone. Is there some way to get that to work?

Of course I can pick up my phone and talk to it while I'm driving, but it would be better (and safer) if I could just hit the Voice mic button on my steering wheel, say "OK Google" and make the phone do stuff like play a podcast, take a note, or send a message to a friend.

Nice! Two questions:
1. can "EV car" be changed to something else? Tesla?
2. is there other way to generate the security token outside of the app?

If you are still looking for a way to do this.
1. Open the google home app
2. from the hamburger menu choose ... more settings
3. choose shortcuts
4. hit the + symbol
5. make yourself a cool shortcut phrase... I used "Get my Tesla" or "ask Tesla"
6. Put "Talk to Evie Car" in the "what Google should do" field
7. save

You now say Ok Google get my Tesla and the app will answer.