Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Integration with Google Home / Google Assistant - Now available for general use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love this app on my android.
Question. Can I disable the voice match security requiremnet somehow? Half of the time Google doesn't recognize my voice, tells me it can't verify yuh my voice and doesn't do the command.
Btw, I love that you can make your own phrases to match commands, very entertaining to say " where the $%!@ is Darth Vader" and EV car spits out its location.

Reactions: Gol4
Building on our Amazon Alexa Skill (EV Car / My Tesla), we have now added support for Google Home and Google Assistant. This allows you to control and communicate with your Tesla with no additional software to install. Support for Google Assistant is particularly exciting since it can be used from your phone from practically anywhere."
This works great on Model 3 with Android/Google Home. Just tried it and about 10 of the commands. Love it! Thank you!

New member here...
... sorry for the ''trivial'' question:
Will this work with only the Google Assistant, or is somehow tied to the Google Home hardware?
Thanks ;:)

Google Assistant (on my android phone) told me to go to "Home app" and set it up. A "card" showed up in google Home app on my phone with an option to "link." I linked it and can now summon the car by saying, "Hey Google, talk to my EV car." Then the car's voice says "Hello" and I can command (from the list above) like "How much charge do I have?" or "Are you charging" . (to see if my husband remembered to plug her in). Worked great first time.

Model 3 LR/RWD/Red/purchased July 2018

Google Assistant (on my android phone) told me to go to "Home app" and set it up. A "card" showed up in google Home app on my phone with an option to "link." I linked it and can now summon the car by saying, "Hey Google, talk to my EV car." Then the car's voice says "Hello" and I can command (from the list above) like "How much charge do I have?" or "Are you charging" . (to see if my husband remembered to plug her in). Worked great first time.

I did this all from my phone, although I do have a home mini in the house.

Model 3 LR/RWD/Red/purchased July 2018

Building on our Amazon Alexa Skill (EV Car / My Tesla), we have now added support for Google Home and Google Assistant. This allows you to control and communicate with your Tesla with no additional software to install. Support for Google Assistant is particularly exciting since it can be used from your phone from practically anywhere.

To get started, follow these steps:

Google Assistant on iPhone/iPad:
  • Open the Google Assistant app.
  • Say "Talk to EV Car".
  • You will see a card that prompts you to link to you Tesla Account.
  • Once linked, say "Talk to EV Car" again.
  • (Your spoken text might be recognized as "evie car" which is fine. You can also try to use the keyboard to enter the text directly)
Android Running 6.0+ (Most Android phones released in the last couple of years)
  • Say "Ok Google, talk to EV Car"
  • OR Hold the home button for a couple of seconds and Say "Talk to EV Car".
  • Once linked, say "Talk to EV Car" again.
  • (Your spoken text might be recognized as "evie car" which is fine. You can also try to use the keyboard to enter the text directly)
Google Home (Smart Speaker):
  • Say "Talk to EV Car".
  • You should get a prompt that EV Car is not yet linked.
  • Open the Google Home app on your phone.
  • Once linked, go back to the Google Home device and say "Talk to EV Car".
To link account, enter your Tesla Account email/password OR if you already have a token, just enter that instead. The email/password is only used to generate a token and is not stored anywhere.

Please treat this as Beta software. While this has been tested for the last month or so, there might be some corner cases that might need to be handled better. Google has also made recent changes to their infrastructure and there are certain scenarios that they still need to address. Please provide all feedback and suggestions on this forum.

Google Home in action (YouTube):

Direct link to the Google Action: https://assistant.google.com/services/a/id/5a33fba4f93f74bc/

Here are some things you can say:
get charge status
get car status
get climate status
get location
turn climate on
warm up my car
cool my car
set driver temperature to 72
set passenger side to 73
start charging
stop charging
honk the horn
flash lights
turn climate off
stop climate
stop heating
stop cooling
how warm is my car
how cold is my car
dude where's my car
get ready to take off
go into hyperdrive
how far can I drive
how far can I go
whats your name
switch cars
set charge limit to 85 percent
start charging to 90 percent
whats the charge limit
lock the car
unlock the car
Can you unlock the frunk/trunk?

Didn't with
Trunk / Frunk controls should be working now.

Open rear trunk
Open front trunk
Open trunk (assumes rear)
Open frunk (assumes front)
Close trunk

Boot and Bonnet are considered synonyms for trunk. If front/rear is not specified, boot assumes rear, bonnet assumes front.

Please try these out and let me know if you see any issues.
Didn't work for me. Kept saying error communicating with car or wouldn't respond at all

Yes, Google has stricter rules than Amazon. They would not allow using "Tesla" in the name or invocation term. They also have the minimum-two-word restriction and "my" cannot be one of the words.

FYI regarding token generation, if you are technically hands on, there is a command line tool on Github that can generate tokens. Also, my app internally provides a web interface which can used for generating tokens. PM me if interested and I'll provide the URL.

Please how to show token on my car tesla s

On Andoid,
Open Google Assistant by long tapping home button
Click Explore button on the top right corner
Scroll to the bottom of the page, and tap All Categories
Tap Travel & transportation
Find "EV Car" under CONTROL CAR and tap it
Scroll down to Account linking and tap UNLINK

Then you'll be able to re link with Tesla credentials.

So I lost it again and came back here to get it back. I couldn't fine EV car under "Control Car" this time but I did find it under "Other" at the bottom so I got it working again -- thanks again for the instructions!

Next question: It automatically responds to my questions with my S. How do I switch it to my 3? Thanks!

@Gol4 - great to see you're still around for me to thank you again for your work with this. Loads of fun and actually genuinely useful.

If you have any suggestions how to get Google's Shortcuts to work more consistently it would be much appreciated as more often than not i just end up with a google search instead of activating the skill

I use an API token to authenticate which I see expire after 45 days. This is why we have to re-link. Does anyone know if supplying the username and password this becomes a non-issue? I would prefer to use tokens rather than my credentials. A nice potential enhancement could be to use the refresh token to automatically request the new auth token when close to expiry.

Also wondering if there's a way to build longer timeouts as the model 3 seems to take much longer to wake up than model S.

Last edited:
There is no way to know when a given token will expire. Supplying the username and password currently does not solve this problem because my design goal was not to save the username/password anywhere. I am rethinking that strategy right now as asking a user to regenerating/relink on Google Assistant is very painful as compared to the process on Amazon Alexa.

Do people reading this have an opinion on whether they would prefer to have this app store username/password and autogenerate tokens when they expire?

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy