Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intel chip time again...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are transparent, nothing on the ordering site says anything about AMD or Intel. I think people are going a little crazy over this.

I would 100% reject the car too. Being in IT, I do know how this going to affect in the future with the constant software updates that Tesla releases.

Now, if they do NOT want customers to reject the orders, all they have to do is promise a free computer whenever the next one happens.
Coz when they upgrade the hardware to support the new software and features, everyone who got Intel will have to pay for it while AMD folks don't have too.

Can you explain why would I want to do that?

I would 100% reject the car too. Being in IT, I do know how this going to affect in the future with the constant software updates that Tesla releases.

Now, if they do NOT want customers to reject the orders, all they have to do is promise a free computer whenever the next one happens.
Coz when they upgrade the hardware to support the new software and features, everyone who got Intel will have to pay for it while AMD folks don't have too.

And by the time the software pushes the performance too far for the intl chipset, there will be a better chip than the AMD cars, and both older car owners will just got buy a new car...

Yay iCar obsolescence!

Reactions: Volleyballmom

That assumes Tesla will offer the option to retrofit, which according to The Twitter (always a reliable source) Tesla will not offer this option.

I’m with you here. I get the argument that many of us ordered when only the Atom was available, therefore we should be content with what we ordered. That would be fine and dandy if this upgrade didn’t come along, because Tesla’s software engineers would continue to release updates optimized for the Atom. This is no longer true with thousands of Ryzens now in the wild. Being the last to acquire the older generation of processor means having the shortest ownership time to obsolescence.

Reactions: Tesraki
Is AMD Tizen better than Intel Atom?

When I buy computer I will not consider AMD. AMD CPU is cheaper then Intell CPU
AMD chips have been better than Intel for half a decade now. AMD chips use smaller more power efficient architecture while producing more processing power.

AMD prices their stuff lower too. You just need to look at how their stock price has climbed to see how their chips have dominated Intel.

In this day and age…AMD=Apple >>> Intel in terms of CPU chips

Reactions: Jeremiah29.11
I was matched a VIN NF3789xx on Wed. Got a text today that my car left production and it was Intel and 15V Lithium battery. I have tow and I wonder if it’s related. Rejected that VIN and hoping to get re-matched to AMD. SA was accommodating but they can’t influence it.

MYLR blue/black, 5 seat, 19”, tow & FSD. OD 9/19

I was matched a VIN NF3789xx on Wed. Got a text today that my car left production and it was Intel and 15V Lithium battery. I have tow and I wonder if it’s related. Rejected that VIN and hoping to get re-matched to AMD. SA was accommodating but they can’t influence it.

MYLR blue/black, 5 seat, 19”, tow & FSD. OD 9/19
Sorry: I meant to say Intel and 12V battery

AMD chips have been better than Intel for half a decade now. AMD chips use smaller more power efficient architecture while producing more processing power.

AMD prices their stuff lower too. You just need to look at how their stock price has climbed to see how their chips have dominated Intel.

In this day and age…AMD=Apple >>> Intel in terms of CPU chips
This is just not true. From a performance standpoint, Intel is trouncing AMD chips.

AMD has a power consumption to performance advantage. But in terms of raw performance/power, Intel has AMD beaten handily.

Look at the Intel alder lake chip vs amd ryzen 5000 series.

In fact, AMD has been totally dominated for the better part of a decade, only recently tipping the scales when the 5000 series came out. …only to have Intel turn that around with the latest chipset, and regain their dominant position.

• Disagree
Reactions: ord3r and Prax
This is just not true. From a performance standpoint, Intel is trouncing AMD chips.

AMD has a power consumption to performance advantage. But in terms of raw performance/power, Intel has AMD beaten handily.

In fact, AMD has been totally dominated for the better part of a decade, only recently tipping the scales when the 5000 series came out. …only to have Intel turn that around with the latest chipset, and regain their dominant position.
And then there was the whole security problem with Intel chips that tipped the hat to AMD for datacenter architecture.

Ive swapped back and forth between AMD and Intel as a PC hobbyist. Never be a fanboi, get what is "best" when you are looking to upgrade. Granted, I've always been an EVGA Nvidia fan for GPUs.

Aren’t we talking about Intel Atom vs AMD Ryzen here?

Reactions: cusetownusa

Intel chips have high peak performance because they allow higher wattage but it’s only sustained for brief period. Intel chips throttle and are slow as hell after. You’ll get 10 minutes of peak performance then you’ll throttle down to below base clock speed.

And by the time the software pushes the performance too far for the intl chipset, there will be a better chip than the AMD cars, and both older car owners will just got buy a new car...

Yay iCar obsolescence!
I am very well aware that a more powerful chip will be released after AMD, I am content with it and It is my decision at that point to either a buy new car or live with the car I currently own.

But, I don't want to accept an older version when I know that there is a better version and some people are getting a better version who are in que with me.
I understand that some people don't care, if you are one of those, Great! be my guest. Give me your info, I will be more than happy to reject the car and let you have it ( if it is possible to transfer it to some one of my preference in the que)

Do you want to do it?

• Funny
Reactions: ord3r
Likely because where this is a thing, they are not using EPA range, but an "even more unrealistic than EPA range" number (WLTP). As far as we know "less range from power of the amd ryzen chip" is not a thing, at least not as it pertains to EPA range.
As far as we know it’s an absolute fact that it’s not reducing mileage…this “rumor” started from a journalist who linked the mileage reduction to the chip because they happened around the same time. Going from 12 watts to 45 watts for the computer on a vehicles consuming 15000 watts will have ZERO effect on range, regardless of what anyone says.