Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intel spinning-out MobilEye in 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the feeling that Intel's new CEO didn't have a good experience/feedback at IAA in Munich earlier this year.

MobilEye hyped their BMW partnership. Intel/MobilEye didn't have BMW on any of their marketing materials and no executives from BMW met with Intel's CEO in public.

My take is that Mobileye wants to cash out at their peak. But you all know I’m very bearish on mobileye.

There will always be a subset of people who do not want to relinquish control of the car to a computer. They enjoy the driving experience. The newer generation will be the most accepting of ADAS and AV systems, as they came up in the ride-hailing era of Uber and Lyft. As more L2 and L3 city-street systems come to market, and L4 robotaxis canvas more major cities, demand for the features will increase.

The current L2 and L3 systems (city) are very expensive - only the premium cars costing well over the average cost of a new car have the features available. This means the target audience skews older and in middle / upper-middle / wealthy demographics. This will trend downwards, like all technology when it evolves, and eventually we'll see L2 and L3 systems in mid-priced vehicles, especially with market demand from the younger generation.

Where Mobileye can fit is in offering L2 and L3 systems OEM to manufacturers who don't want to invest in development of their own ADAS systems. Just like a car company puts in premium audio from Bose instead of creating their own audio equipment and speakers for their cars.

There will always be a subset of people who do not want to relinquish control of the car to a computer...
Only if a car no longer has any steering wheel and foot pedals for human drivers.

As long as an L5 still has a steering wheel and foot pedals for human drivers, I don't see why an Autonomous Vehicle is incompatible with a manual-driving human driver.

The impression that it's finally here is because Tesla kept talking about it; if I don't buy it now, I will miss it! Especially if it's at a low bargain price of $15,000 instead of $100,000!

Uber thought it got a bargain by hiring the former Alphabet engineer and bought his 6-month-old start-up Otto delivered beer on its video demo.

The hype wore off quickly, and it sold its Autonomous Vehicle business with essentially a loss.

Now Ford and VW pulled the plug on their Argo AI.

I think Autonomous Vehicle is still excellent scientific research and not anywhere near consumer quality.