Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intelligent home charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have ordered a model 3 LR. I have a 5 Kva solar system and a Tesla Battery at home and we are connected to 3 phase power. We also use time of use electricity charging. Apart from winter we export a lot of power to the grid. I would like a system that prioritizes home use first, home battery second and the car third. If there is not enough solar power then charge the car directly from 3 phase power. Is there a commercial product that will achieve all this?

A Tesla gateway would probably be your best bet since you already have the battery, car, app, and hpwc(?). I don’t know that it’s as well featured/integrated as you’d like, but chances are that it will evolve much better than the competing products.

Right now, it (car, powerwall with tesla gateway) will only do what the OP is asking for if you take yourself off grid. When off grid (either on purpose by throwing your main breaker or using the tesla app to take yourself off grid), or on accident, there is a setting which lets you set the amount that the car is allowed to drain your powerwall to.

If you set that percentage to (for example) 90%, then when you are off grid, solar will power your home, and refill your powerwall, and car charging will drain the powerwall down to 90%, then put extra power into the car instead of exporting to the grid (because there is no grid to export to in the above scenario).

They have not enabled this functionality during normal operation (on grid). I have read a couple of threads about smart charging devices which supposedly do something similar to what the OP asks for , but have not looked into it cause its not something I am interested in outside of the tesla ecosystem.