Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

intelligent Key... stupid driver...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone done this?

So I was swapping mine and the wives car around and in my madness I left my key fob on the roof of my car then went for a drive.

Only discovered I didn’t have the key fob when I came back to the car after paying for petrol and the car wouldn’t start, had to walk home and thankfully found the fob at the side of the road... wasn’t a good start to the day.

The wife couldn’t help herself “I bet you do that with the Tesla”

Arghhhh

I frequently rent a Tesla during my business visits to US. Once I drove around the whole day for appointments and when I got back to my rental house, realized I didn't remember physically getting the fob. Took me a few minutes to think through that I had been opening the door and starting the car all day. So I searched though the car - they had handed it to me with the fob in the cup holder...

Reactions: Fellsteruk
had to walk home and thankfully found the fob at the side of the road

Glad you found the fob :)

You should be able to "start" the car with the APP if you have your phone with you.

Read recently of someone who hired a car which had keyless-ignition, parked at supermarket, came out and got into what she thought was the car she hired, drove it around for a week, and when she returned it to rental company they said "That's not our car" ... someone had left their key in the car and she, thinking it was her rental-car, had kept the keyless ignition in her bag and never realised that the car was not locking!

nearest I can get to that one was a Ford Mondeo. Left it in a supermarket car park, came out unlocked the car remotely with the key, jumped in and started eating my sandwiches, only to think hang on my car has (particularly naff) wood effect trim and I'm not seeing it.

Got out and sure enough my car was in the next row along identical bay position, identical colour and model.

I slunk off quietly to my own car and fortunately never heard any more of it, although it did occur to me that the owner might have wondered about how the sandwich crumbs in their car got there.

Best bit though was this was just a the time Ford were crowing about their security (I have an even better tale about Ford security).

about as stupid as I felt driving to the petrol station to get petrol for the lawnmower.
Now bought an electric one to save further embarrassment.
Mind you seeing the guy in his McLaren trying to overcome the immobiliser was dead funny with everyone watching him.
However the speed he came past me 5 minutes later was truly obscene - iro120-140 in a 60mph limit, quite likely imminently dead without the funny.
Intelligent car, stupid driver (just keeping it on topic)

I have done exactly the same as you. I summon out of my garage and I used to put my fob on the windscreen wiper (the car sometimes complained it wasn't close enough otherwise). Well, I did the same as you, only I didn't find my fob on the way home :(.

Still haven't looked into getting a replacement as I can't face the unneccesary expense. And I leave the fob on the garage shelf now. At least then the worst that happens is I drive off without it.