Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intelligent octopus stopped working!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. I’ve been on IO for over a year but in the last few weeks it just stopped working!
The car does its initial 5 mins or so of charging on plug in. Then IO stops it and makes an overnight charging schedule as per usual.
But then I wake up and find nothing more has happened. Sometimes I have an error message saying ‘Charging stopped at XXXX etc’.
Things I have done:
- removed the car from the IO app and then re-run the setup process
- confirmed my podpoint is actually attached to the Wi-Fi
- ensured no overrides scheduled in the car settings

I’m a bit stumped. Any ideas from the wise? It probably started around recent Tesla software update (2022.44.25.3)

Do I need to deauthorise all remote login devices from the car and start again there?

Thanks

Hi all. I’ve been on IO for over a year but in the last few weeks it just stopped working!
The car does its initial 5 mins or so of charging on plug in. Then IO stops it and makes an overnight charging schedule as per usual.
But then I wake up and find nothing more has happened. Sometimes I have an error message saying ‘Charging stopped at XXXX etc’.
Things I have done:

I’m a bit stumped. Any ideas from the wise? It probably started around recent Tesla software update (2022.44.25.3)

Do I need to deauthorise all remote login devices from the car and start again there?

Thanks
I'd drop octopus a quick email to make sure that you are still on the tariff.. if so, then you are OK for the typical 11.30pm start.
IO has been a bit glitchy of late.

No need to drop them an email, what does your account page say?

If IO is still stopping the initial plug in charge, there's about a 100% chance you're still on the tariff. Have you tried bump charging to see if you can still do basic control through the app? Has your Podpoint had any firmwares updates or app updates that could have inadvertently enabled some smart features like a schedule?

I’ve noticed IO initiated charging stops via the car do not generate “charging has stopped” notifications. If you’re receiving notifications telling you charging has unexpectedly stopped to me that sounds like there may be an issue with your pod point? Does it have a schedule set? If not, could it be glitching?

It’s getting silly now. I saw mine at 68% at 06:22, with newly requested scheduled charge to 80% by 08:30 at 18 A (perfectly achievable) and refreshed charging plan 06:00–08:30. It ended up at 70%, after a failed to start charging notification. There was a Tesla software update to 2023.2.0.5 pending. Even after the install completed, charging didn't resume having extended finish to time 10:00 and saw 71% SoC.

Last edited:
It’s getting silly now. I saw mine at 68% at 06:22, with newly requested scheduled charge to 80% by 08:30 at 18 A (perfectly achievable) and refreshed charging plan 06:00–08:30. It ended up at 70%, after a failed to start charging notification. There was a Tesla software update to 2023.2.0.5 pending. Even after the install completed, charging didn't resume having extended finish to time 10:00 and saw 71% SoC.
I would strongly suggest you try a different charger. Maybe the granny charger to rule out this being an issue with your PP. If it’s untethered, try a different cable.

Things I have done:

Thanks
Interesting... I don't use Octopus but am experiencing tripping of the RCBO after 30mins of a planned charge. I've had my Hypervolt tested and they seem to think it's ok.
What's not ok is me having to wait till sometimes 11.30pm to go and reset the RCBO.
There are no new loads through my circuits etc - it was working fine.

The timing of that software update may have a correlation to my issue too.... I wonder.... 🤔

Interesting... I don't use Octopus but am experiencing tripping of the RCBO after 30mins of a planned charge. I've had my Hypervolt tested and they seem to think it's ok.
What's not ok is me having to wait till sometimes 11.30pm to go and reset the RCBO.

The timing of that software update may have a correlation to my issue too.... I wonder.... 🤔
Also have a Hypervolt and haven't had any issues fwiw. Hope you find the cause.

Reactions: AndyWarrington

I’ve had the RCBO issue off and on. Podpoint came out to replace the original one several months ago and has been fine until lately. Issue seems to be when IO schedules short bursts of charging of a few minutes at a time. If I get a solid 6 or 7h block for example it seems fine.

I’ve had the RCBO issue off and on. Podpoint came out to replace the original one several months ago and has been fine until lately. Issue seems to be when IO schedules short bursts of charging of a few minutes at a time. If I get a solid 6 or 7h block for example it seems fine.
My experience is after around 30mins it'll trip, once I've reset it it's ok for the rest of the charge. It's really odd! I think I'll ask them to replace the RCBO and see if that helps... 👍

My experience is after around 30mins it'll trip, once I've reset it it's ok for the rest of the charge. It's really odd! I think I'll ask them to replace the RCBO and see if that helps... 👍
I get a similar issue with an EO mini pro 2 charger - sometimes works fine, sometimes trips after 15-20 minutes. It's using a Garo G6EV40PME 40A dedicated CU. I'd be interested if replacing the RCBO makes a difference for you.

Maybe the granny charger to rule out this being an issue with your PP.
I have been experimenting with 5 A through my UMC gen 2 with 32 A connector and 13 A 3-pin. The timings suggest it’s purely Octopus IO, for example this morning's stopped at 10:48 having started at 07:50, but as soon as I reschedule it starts up again and continues. Like they've factored in an early end termination when they know target SoC can't be reached in time given. Along with an auto-stop after 6 hours managed per rolling 24 hours.

I have been experimenting with 5 A through my UMC gen 2 with 32 A connector and 13 A 3-pin. The timings suggest it’s purely Octopus IO, for example this morning's stopped at 10:48 having started at 07:50, but as soon as I reschedule it starts up again and continues. Like they've factored in an early end termination when they know target SoC can't be reached in time given. Along with an auto-stop after 6 hours managed per rolling 24 hours.
Setting the UMC to 5A is massively gaming the system. I can see how it would not expect the car to charge that slowly and not always meet the desired SoC.

I get a similar issue with an EO mini pro 2 charger - sometimes works fine, sometimes trips after 15-20 minutes. It's using a Garo G6EV40PME 40A dedicated CU. I'd be interested if replacing the RCBO makes a difference for you.
Hypervolt have dialled in and done a remote check on the charger and all seems ok their end. I've got the installer popping round next week to swap the RCBO over and see if that sorts it 👍
Will update when I know

Setting the UMC to 5A is massively gaming the system.
You could interpret it that way, but I was experimenting to find the cause of charging halting silently. Of note, Bump Charging through scheduled charging made charging continuous, so it is an IO demand to stop charging. They can do this due to 'local or district' electricity grid operator requests in fact per T&Cs and I have noticed that in the mornings grid voltage near here is maxing out at 253 V fairly frequently (probably all the EVs charging and high reactive power).

I thought 5A was below the threshold of reliable charging current anyway, no? Certainly with respect to excess solar charging, 6A is regarded as the minimum. I'm sure I've seen threads that describe the car's transformer throwing a wobbly <6A.
5A is OK with mine....or seems to be.
However, in the cold I've found it needs to be upped somewhat.

This morning I had a 32 A car charge schedule from 05:00 until 08:30, it stopped at 05:30. I noticed at 07:00 and restarted it, it stopped again at 07:14. Bump Charge that and it was continuous until 08:00. So this is all definitely IO doing its best to stop charging by default during the early morning peak demand, even when the target SoC can be reached just in time.

Then there’s the curious question of what happens to billing with Bump Charge in the middle of a Scheduled Charging session. Certainly under 30 minutes has no effect on rate within a settlement period where returning to IO Scheduled Charging. Presumably the widening of a minute out to the half-hour overrides Bump Charging peak rate.

The substation area I reside in already has quite a lot of EVs parked up in detached home driveways and is only increasing.