Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is set for 23:30 (when Intelligent Octopus starts anyway)
It can start from 5pm, although realistically the earliest extra 5p HH slot I've had to date is 10pm.
Surely if it was as simple as using it as a dumb charger then all brands would be compatible?
They are all compatible, as long as they're used in dumb mode. IO is interacting with the Tesla API, not the charger. But if you have another type of EV, *none* currently work with IO. They announced Wallbox compatibility (for non Tesla EVs) at the start of the beta but it got dropped as it wasn't working properly.
My main theory is the Octopus handshake with the Tesla is over the mobile phone network
IO doesn't talk directly to the car. It talks to Tesla's API which then controls the car. But yes, if you don't have connectivity you're going to struggle.
I thought they could only support one car
Yes, I think the tariff only supports one car (for now).

Reactions: rotor2k
So if I have a Zappi 2 and choose generic charger I can switch to this? I just disable the myenergi schedule and let Octopus do it’s thing? I won’t be transferring until my go faster runs out the end of April and it’s probably all changed then anyway.

Reactions: browellm
Hello, another question about the phantom drain, has this now been resolved or will I need to toggle the holiday/smart charging mode switch in the app every morning and turn it off when I arrive at home prior to plugging in?

From looking around at the tarrifs (my go faster 5H from 20:30 is due to expire in March) intelligent looks the best as I usually need 4-5 hours to recharge daily.

I've just looked at Intelligent again and the application setup now accepts Myenergi Zappi. I my try to join as the second EV has a much smaller battery, won't be doing much range (rarely more than 30m a day) & could be charged via weatherproof 13a socket below the Zappi.

I am overseas at the moment, have just awoken the car for a test charge - it's at 84% & the Zappi is on 'Fast; mode. For a test charge do I change to Eco or Eco+ because if I leave on Fast & move the slider above 84% it will immediately start charging?

Reactions: Tigermad
I have now done the switch, the test charge setup was successful and my app now says Octopus will create a Smart charging plan after 5pm.

However I haven't received an email telling me that I am moving to Intelligent Octopus, both app and Web account still show Go Faster & I'm unable to call their 0808 number (even with +44 808) to query.

When/how did you receive confirmation? The rates were shown as I signed up but haven't appeared since.

By the way, my Go Faster plan was due to expire next Tuesday 11th anyway so this is timely to lock in 5p as the second car will increase our night rate consumption however I charge it. Apart from oven/hob/ironing* almost all other devices in our home are either battery charged during the night or on overnight timers.

*I tried working on a betaWife overnight plan for these but it didn't go too well.

Last edited:
I was interested in Intelligent Octopus until I realised that it would make my peak rate rise from our current Octopus Go rate of 15p to 25p per kWh. Seems daft if they're trying to attract customers to the tariff. I'll have another look when our guaranteed peak rate ends later this year.

I was interested in Intelligent Octopus until I realised that it would make my peak rate rise from our current Octopus Go rate of 15p to 25p per kWh. Seems daft if they're trying to attract customers to the tariff. I'll have another look when our guaranteed peak rate ends later this year.

You can't really compare today's peak rate, with a rate you got a year ago. If you a new joiner or renew on Go today, your peak rate will be north of 30p/kWh.

I have now done the switch, the test charge setup was successful and my app now says Octopus will create a Smart charging plan after 5pm.

However I haven't received an email telling me that I am moving to Intelligent Octopus, both app and Web account still show Go Faster & I'm unable to call their 0808 number (even with +44 808) to query.

When/how did you receive confirmation? The rates were shown as I signed up but haven't appeared since.

By the way, my Go Faster plan was due to expire next Tuesday 11th anyway so this is timely to lock in 5p as the second car will increase our night rate consumption however I charge it. Apart from oven/hob/ironing* almost all other devices in our home are either battery charged overnight or on overnight timers.

*I tried working on a betaWife overnight plan for these but it didn't go too well.
It took 24 hours after the test charge for my app details to switch over.

Reactions: Drew57
I’ve been considering Intelligent Octopus with the imminent arrival of our 2nd EV (non-Tesla). Having the additional cheap hours overnight for charging may negate the 10p increase in the day rate from Go.

Has anyone made or found some kind of calculator where I can dump in my downloaded Octopus data and tweak the tariffs to compare what the cost would be on Go, Faster or Intelligent? I’m not sure my Excel skills are up to it!

I’ve been considering Intelligent Octopus with the imminent arrival of our 2nd EV (non-Tesla). Having the additional cheap hours overnight for charging may negate the 10p increase in the day rate from Go.

Has anyone made or found some kind of calculator where I can dump in my downloaded Octopus data and tweak the tariffs to compare what the cost would be on Go, Faster or Intelligent? I’m not sure my Excel skills are up to it!
Try the Octopus Compare app on the apple App Store. It was a good comparison tool for my switch.

Intelligent only works with 1 EV though? I guess you can get around it by switching on another dumb charger manually during the Intelligent times which you will know from the app...

Everything working correctly since I signed up yesterday - I was given an extra 5p hour on Friday evening 21.30-22.30 but the car charged at 04.30-04.45 which makes sense because SOC was 83% & I set the app to 85% by 05.30.

I didn't need this charge as the car has been sleeping for 6 weeks & won't be used until we are back in the UK but wanted to see how it worked.

A bit of anxiety making the switch remotely, especially as I couldn't call Octopus if things didn't work but with the backup of a Tesla/Zappi/Octopus neighbour next door I reckoned it was worth it.

Thanks for the useful comments & feedback from others on here 🙏