Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

UrbanSplash

Nov 10, 2019
UK
Hi. I just had an email from Octopus to sign up to Intelligent Octopus. Anyone else?

Why sign up: Intelligent Octopus gives you access to a whopping six hours of super-cheap electricity overnight (much longer than other smart tariffs) that you can use for electric vehicle charging and any other energy needs. What’s more, we’ll manage your charging to make sure that you only fill up on the very greenest electricity. In short, you’ll get a chance to save cash, charge your electric vehicle in a greener way, and participate in the future of smart energy.

How it works: You’ll get a six hour low-cost night rate at 5p/kWh between 11:30pm and 5:30am - two hours longer than our Octopus Go tariff. You simply register with the Intelligent Octopus app and tell us when you need your electric vehicle charged by. We make sure that the car’s charged by that time. We’ll schedule your car to charge at times when renewables are abundant, reducing the strain on the grid and the need to burn dirty fossil fuels.

Seems pretty good

Attachments

• 0BB78EA2-B7DA-4134-A13A-D770B87A2971.png
    0BB78EA2-B7DA-4134-A13A-D770B87A2971.png
    480.7 KB · Views: 2,118
Reading between the lines, looks like you may not get a guaranteed 6 hours when charging your car, just enough to fulfil your charging needs however you tell them that - is the app only to tell the time or the energy required too? What is also not clear is what happens when your cars charging needs overlap the "when renewables are abundant" window, either because it needs longer than the 6 hours or, outside your control, when part of the 6 hour window is not "when renewables are abundant" - are you going to get pushed into peak rate because its more green? I think the spirit of this tariff (or at least it should be) is that it is greener, but at the trade off that at times it will not necessarily be cheaper.

My guess is you do get a guaranteed 6 hours, you just don’t get to choose when within these 6 hours. I.e. they’ll choose the cheapest half-hour blocks to charge (upto what you need) turning the car charging on and off during that period. These HH blocks will also happen to be the greenest times to charge (lowest demand or highest surplus).

Relatively simple to do.
Poll the API to get current charge, target charge, calculate how many kWh needed, add on 5%, convert into how many HH blocks are needed, work out the cheapest HH blocks, use the Tesla API to wake-up your car and turn car charging on and off. Voila. A raspberry pi could do it 😉

Last edited:
Reactions: flyingy
Relatively simple to do.
Poll the API to get current charge, target charge, calculate how many kWh needed, add on 5%, convert into how many HH blocks are needed, work out the cheapest HH blocks, use the Tesla API to wake-up your car and turn car charging on and off. Voila. A raspberry pi could do it 😉
Nah, they use 'KrakenFlex machine learning' apparently 🤣🤣

1624485008324.png

My guess is you do get a guaranteed 6 hours, you just don’t get to choose when within these 6 hours. I.e. they’ll choose the cheapest half-hour blocks to charge (upto what you need) turning the car charging on and off during that period. These HH blocks will also happen to be the greenest times to charge (lowest demand or highest surplus).

Relatively simple to do.
This will be using smart chargers not the Tesla Api.

To be fair, this seems even simpler than that if you’re willing to relinquish control of your charging.
I would imagine that they’ll prioritise your target charge level even if that means charging at “dirtier” times.
This may be pretty good, although I don’t think I’ll be rushing to take it up… control freakery is hard to overcome.

Reactions: Adopado
Sounds interesting although the fixed overnight 4 hrs with Go Faster are already sufficient for the cars' needs on the occasions when solar doesn't suffice.

Our current 02.30-06.30 is also useful if using the Go Wife app for dishwasher, washing machine, tumble dryer etc. However, Beta learning mode seems quite buggy, doesn't always hit the correct time period, occasionally fails catastrophically & I'm struggling to programme the overnight cooking facility without excessive feedback. I also need a way to adjust the warning sound volume when electricity usage causes our house to turn 'blue' not green.

Last edited: