Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure I would sign up for an electricity tarrif that forced me to use a specific app and give it access to my car. What if the app is rubbish? There are plenty bad apps intending to do good things.

Intelligent Octopus currently works with Tesla cars or Wallbox Pulsar Plus chargers, but we're working to add more chargers all the time. You’ll also need a smart meter. During early access, the app is only available for iPhones with iOS 14 or higher but we’re working to release on Android too.
OK fair enough. So you have to give them your car credentials then so they can use the unofficial api's. Doesn't seem like a great model.
Yes I know its the one Teslafi work on.

Reactions: MrBadger
I am on Go Faster, 5 hours for pretty much the same rates. I would get an extra hour, but have to give Octopus Energy access to my car thorugh the API. No thank you very much. The risk of vampire drain is very real, but they also have full control of the car for no reason other than to start/stop charging. If this would be through remote control of the wall charger only, it would be acceptable.

Also, I don't like the idea of Intelligent Octopi, too many arms with suckers. before you know it they will take of the world, starting with your car! BRRR ;)

OK fair enough. So you have to give them your car credentials then so they can use the unofficial api's. Doesn't seem like a great model.
Yes I know its the one Teslafi work on.
Is it definitely the unofficial API or could they be doing something more "official" with tesla? Tesla/Octopus co-operate on the tesla energy plan so presumably there is some sort of relationship there.

This sounds like a clever idea:

We'll either schedule your charge during the cheap hours of 11.30pm and 5.30am or, if we schedule your charge outside those times, we'll give you the 5p rate for your car and home electricity.

So 5p if they auto charge the car regardless of time. Be interesting to what they say around how it works via the API. I don’t want my car woken up constantly.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Is it definitely the unofficial API or could they be doing something more "official" with tesla? Tesla/Octopus co-operate on the tesla energy plan so presumably there is some sort of relationship there.
It's possible Tesla Gave them official access to the api's but it would be the first case of that I have heard of. I guess someone needs to ask them + if you need to put your username and PW into an Octopus branded site its the same process whether official or unofficial. its still somewhere they could be stolen from.
I would like to hope they generate a token and a renewal token then delete the Username and PW but again would have to ask them.
Even if they do those tokens have a lot of power. Like tracking and unlocking your car.

It's possible Tesla Gave them official access to the api's but it would be the first case of that I have heard of. I guess someone needs to ask them + if you need to put your username and PW into an Octopus branded site its the same process whether official or unofficial. its still somewhere they could be stolen from.
I would like to hope they generate a token and a renewal token then delete the Username and PW but again would have to ask them.
Even if they do those tokens have a lot of power. Like tracking and unlocking your car.
I emailed them last night requesting more information on how this will work and whether they will request access to the car to make this work. Just awaiting for their reply and will post back.

My guess is you do get a guaranteed 6 hours, you just don’t get to choose when within these 6 hours. I.e. they’ll choose the cheapest half-hour blocks to charge (upto what you need) turning the car charging on and off during that period. These HH blocks will also happen to be the greenest times to charge (lowest demand or highest surplus).

Relatively simple to do.
Poll the API to get current charge, target charge, calculate how many kWh needed, add on 5%, convert into how many HH blocks are needed, work out the cheapest HH blocks, use the Tesla API to wake-up your car and turn car charging on and off. Voila. A raspberry pi could do it 😉
I've written code to do exactly this in fact. It's not too complicated if you're a programmer.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
I assume the Tesla Energy plan works with an API provided from Tesla. I’m on that but have to say there has been no sign of any outside control of either the car or Powerwall.

Aren't all installed chargers now mandated to be smart? I always assumed for this very use case - so suppliers can use the cars to balance the grid. So shouldn't chargers all have a standard API to enable this kind of tariff they could code against, rather than doing it per car or charger type?

Basically, or why couldn't I get a Tesla charger with the gov grant. Grrr.