Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Hypervolt charger is showing usage at 36kWh on the 1st and 40kWh on the 2nd. I plugged my car in with 21% charge on the 1st and wanted it to reach 90% charge which it did on the 2nd. I have a Model Y so does that usage sound right for a 69% charge?

My daily usage prior to using my home charger is around 12-15kwh a day, according to my usage in the octopus app. On the 1st it’s showing 53kwh and on the 2nd it’s showing 64kwh. So if I minus 15kwh from each day for the above it’s around 87kwh for the car which is around 10kwh more than what the Hypervolt app is reporting. Is that normal?

I know there’s not much in it and I’m generalising with my daily usage but I can only see my usage since 29th March so only have that to go off.

Just a quick question please for those using Intelligent Octopus as I'm about to press the button on solar PV and battery storage. I will either get 9.5kwh of battery storage or 19kwh and I need to establish if I can use something like IO to charge both batteries overnight in Autumn/Winter when the solar potential is much lower.

Can IO be used across the current 6 hour off-peak slots to charge batteries please? We don't use the car much and most of the juice needs to go to the batteries to make installing 2 of them worthwhile - max charge rate is 3.6kw. The car will only be charged once, maybe twice per week and not to full capacity.

I don't want to install two lumps of lithium if I only have capacity to charge/use one. I also need to consider if I need two inverters to get the job done.

Thanks for any insights before I order.

Just a quick question please for those using Intelligent Octopus as I'm about to press the button on solar PV and battery storage. I will either get 9.5kwh of battery storage or 19kwh and I need to establish if I can use something like IO to charge both batteries overnight in Autumn/Winter when the solar potential is much lower.

Can IO be used across the current 6 hour off-peak slots to charge batteries please? We don't use the car much and most of the juice needs to go to the batteries to make installing 2 of them worthwhile - max charge rate is 3.6kw. The car will only be charged once, maybe twice per week and not to full capacity.

I don't want to install two lumps of lithium if I only have capacity to charge/use one. I also need to consider if I need two inverters to get the job done.

Thanks for any insights before I order.
Not only can you do that in the winter, but also in the summer - the PV looks a bit unnecessary

Reactions: spon88
@spon88 Yes - those 6 hours are at the low rate regardless.

I force charge house batteries 23.30-05.30, having 6.7Kw linked to the solar array plus an additional 9.6Kw with their own inverter (however the former are never force charged due to the way the FIT meter was configured by the original installer as I would be receiving a payment against grid supply as well as solar).

Even with two EVs sometimes charging during the 6 hours IO slot plus high energy appliances such as Dishwasher, Washing Machine/Tumble Dryer etc, filling the 9.6Kw batteries at night sees our house through even the dullest days in winter & if I need more it's easy to add multiples of 2.4Kw up to 19.2Kw.

Edit: Solar is useful in summer because often both sets of batteries are filled during the day without even needing the IO overnight period.

I also set the 6.7Kw PV batteries to permanently block discharge 23.30-05.30 so that the other inverter only draws from the grid to fill 9.6Kw and in winter block both sets so that after 5.30am we always draw from low cost storage rather than using peak cost mains.

Last edited:
Reactions: spon88
We have a power hungry home office but I guess this should be catered for in summer with an 8kwp E/W split array, plus charging batteries and running appliancies during the day. It's the darker months I'm trying to assess and it does seem like the IO tarrif will do the job for topping up 2 batteries to keep us going when the solar isn't doing much. Capital pay-back isn't stunning but the incremental cost of the second battery isn't that much and self-sufficiency is the primary goal. Cheers for the insights and it does look very doable.

The thing to watch out for is when the car charges outside of the standard 6 hours, the home battery will want to provide the power, as the additional slots are at short notice some coding will likely be required
We're upgrading to a Zappi as part of the contract. However, I'm minded to keep the "dumb" Rolec hooked up alongside to avoid any complications. We are not heavy users of the car, charging partially twice per week max. I need to run through the most sensible way to handle the car charging with the contractor - thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: goRt
Can I ask what invertors you're using please?
Solax X-Hybrid and Lux, both 3.6 kWh.

Just for clarity their apps can both be set to force charge (which I do with the Lux) and/or block discharge but I only do this using the standard 6 hour IO slots. Any additional time periods are only used by the Tesla.... except what the house happens to be drawing at the time of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: Garry TheBiz
Oops, thought I had suspended smart charging after the last IO charge but I didn't.

The car was driven, topped up to 90% using solar yesterday & then unplugged. This morning SOC is 84% so allowing for its typical 1% overnight loss IO has accounted for 5% between 16.00-07.15

I need to write things down but pretty sure I topped up to 90% (read 89% when I got in the next day) last Thursday/Friday and barely used the car since. Got in this morning (no preheating) and its at 72%. that seems a heavy loss - is that just IO? If so surely they need to address this or its basically broken. Teslafi seems to be able to schedule charging without keeping the car awake. It should be able to detect if the car is plugged in or not passively shouldn't it?

apart from potentially excessive drain - I plugged mine in tonight around 7:30pm and it started flashing green in the car. I’ve just checked the app for the schedule for tonight and it’s showing 3kwh was already charged, but the schedule doesn’t start until 10.30. So has that just cost me 90p instead of 22.5p?

Not the end of the world but that and the drain all adds up

apart from potentially excessive drain - I plugged mine in tonight around 7:30pm and it started flashing green in the car. I’ve just checked the app for the schedule for tonight and it’s showing 3kwh was already charged, but the schedule doesn’t start until 10.30. So has that just cost me 90p instead of 22.5p?

Not the end of the world but that and the drain all adds up
if it keeps charging for more than a minute or so just stop it in the Tesla app. It will start again later on controlled by I/O. Also disable I/O control in the app after the charge has finished - only takes a few seconds each time.

Edit: and reenable it of course just before you plug the car in again ;)

if it keeps charging for more than a minute or so just stop it in the Tesla app. It will start again later on controlled by I/O. Also disable I/O control in the app after the charge has finished - only takes a few seconds each time.

Edit: and reenable it of course just before you plug the car in again ;)

I guess. Just added faff. I was just plugging in to top up overnight as I'd had to take a detour to pick up my daughter and her friends from Kingston due to a cancelled train, so I just wanted to get into the house and didn't pay attention.

For something that has (I'm guessing) a 10+ year ROI, I don't know how useful the specifics of any existing schemes are (unless they are something you can lock into for said 10+ years). Just think how much the energy landscape has changed in the last 2.5 years (since we all started buying Teslas in large quantities). All we know for sure is that energy prices are not going down for the next few years, inflation is going to be high for the next few years, and (I think it's safe to assume) there will continue to be some sort of low-price energy overnight (Octopus Go, Intelligent Octopus, etc -- while the actual specifics will vary over time).

I would focus on how the devices are controlled; what happens if the manufacturer goes bust or drops support for your device? How do you configure, control, manage, integrate, and monitor something this sophisticated for the full 10+ years?

I've been interested in the Mixergy hot water tank, but for something that is meant to sit quietly in my hot water cupboard for 10-20 years, I worry how useful it will be when the company goes bust. Long term support of Internet of Things stuff is extremely difficult, and even companies like Apple and Google (and Tesla) start sunsetting things after a few years.