Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have noticed there have been no readings uploaded on my account for 4 days now. Anyone else had this with IO? Wondering how they manage this given the flexibility of the tariff in the event of missing readings. Anyone know? Can’t see anything on their website explaining these circumstances.

Thanks!

Long term users - are there any billing issues if you turn off smart charging via the IO app and manually charge during the off-peak hours? Or is it best practice to leave it on and ‘bump charge’ instead?
No real need to bump charge during the off peak hours, trust and rely on IO as it is intended to be used.

I haven't seen any billing issues and frequently suspend IO for days at a time, this includes the past week as solar has been providing enough to charge during the daytime.

Reactions: NSS89
Long term users - are there any billing issues if you turn off smart charging via the IO app and manually charge during the off-peak hours? Or is it best practice to leave it on and ‘bump charge’ instead?
If you can, leave it on and let IO do its magic. My view is that Octopus are really going out on a limb to provide at least six hours of off-peak for use throughout the home, so the least we should be doing is let them control the car charge to coincide with their least cost/carbon HH slots.

Reactions: rotor2k and NSS89
Might be the request to re-enable IO didn't make it to the server. It's often necessary to close then re-open the Android app for the Devices tab to refresh after changes that could affect the planning. Either that or potentially an overnight power-cut, cable connectivity issue, API maintenance, or planner unable to meet objectives.

Last night I had IO on, a schedule was created but this morning the car was still on 15% so no charge was sent! any ideas on troubleshooting at all? Octopus app doesn't seem to show anything!!
All worked OK for me last night so the API should have been working correctly.

Usual checklist:
Any in-car limit applied? Sounds unlikely in this case as 15% is very low.
No messages from Tesla app about cable being correctly inserted?
Do you have any intermittent connectivity issues that might affect things? (WIFi/4G)
Any particular changes in your routine that meant you manually stopping the charge at the beginning of the schedule cancelled the whole thing? (IO should get around this, but occasionally causes a problem)

Any in-car limit applied? Sounds unlikely in this case as 15% is very low.
No messages from Tesla app about cable being correctly inserted?
Do you have any intermittent connectivity issues that might affect things? (WIFi/4G)
Any particular changes in your routine that meant you manually stopping the charge at the beginning of the schedule cancelled the whole thing? (IO should get around this, but occasionally causes a problem)
Nope to all the above, I set the car to 100% and let IO charge to 80 when needed.

Could you try setting IO to 100% and the car to your desired state? Thats how I work with it.
I also disconnect the car from IO after charging is complete to save the phantom drain.
Be careful not to use the term 'disconnect' as this can confuse new users.

Disconnecting in the app applies to the vehicle (Disconnect vehicle) which is permanent & would mean starting initial setup again rather than disabling smart charging using the slider which is temporary.

Whilst in Spain I left my Tesla M3 at a garage for a week at 70% and watched every day as the charge went down to 30%… can I blame octopus intelligent entirely for this loss? As far as I’m concerned it’s totally unintelligent to rely on toggling the smart charging function in the app…

Whilst in Spain I left my Tesla M3 at a garage for a week at 70% and watched every day as the charge went down to 30%… can I blame octopus intelligent entirely for this loss? As far as I’m concerned it’s totally unintelligent to rely on toggling the smart charging function in the app…
If I understand correctly, the conclusion from a couple of people here is that IO integration is leading to the battery to drain (presumably as the car is being kept awake or something?). If true, have Octopus acknowledged this as it seems counter to their rationale to be causing additional energy consumption...

If I understand correctly, the conclusion from a couple of people here is that IO integration is leading to the battery to drain (presumably as the car is being kept awake or something?). If true, have Octopus acknowledged this as it seems counter to their rationale to be causing additional energy consumption...

It is Octopus yes, I was monitoring it using Teslamate, IO was waking the car once an hour for 15 minutes. When I informed Octopus about this they replied with…..

Like all charging, in order to Smart Charge your car, we will need to wake it up. We plan to back off and let your car go back to sleep (to avoid battery drain) as often as possible.
Currently, we only back off whilst the car is plugged in, as well as when the car is away from home and stationary. Try plugging in your car to send it back to sleep.
If your car is plugged in and it still won’t go to sleep, then this is unlikely to be caused by Intelligent Octopus is keeping it awake. It is likely that something else is causing your vehicle to stay awake.”

So I think it is best to disable smart charging once complete

It is Octopus yes, I was monitoring it using Teslamate, IO was waking the car once an hour for 15 minutes. When I informed Octopus about this they replied with…..

Like all charging, in order to Smart Charge your car, we will need to wake it up. We plan to back off and let your car go back to sleep (to avoid battery drain) as often as possible.
Currently, we only back off whilst the car is plugged in, as well as when the car is away from home and stationary. Try plugging in your car to send it back to sleep.
If your car is plugged in and it still won’t go to sleep, then this is unlikely to be caused by Intelligent Octopus is keeping it awake. It is likely that something else is causing your vehicle to stay awake.”

So I think it is best to disable smart charging once complete
Hi thanks will do that from now on. It’s just not very intuitive. Plus I was at risk of being without power and being stranded whilst car was at garage. Wish octopus had some warning about this problem. If it weren’t for the 6 hour cheap rates I would have ditched them. On another note. How do you get hold of Octopus? When I can they told be to email. When I emailed i received no reply. Thank you all for your help btw.