Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m currently on Octopus Go, paying 5p during the 4 hours off peak and 14.02p at other times. This joyous tariff is due to expire on 25th September.

Given the impending double whammy of the fix ending and tariff cap rising in October, I’m wondering if and when I should switch to this Intelligent Octopus tariff. It’s currently showing me a IO tariff of 7.5p for 6 hours off peak and 40.04p at other times :oops:

What I can’t work out from the Octopus website is whether IO a fixed tariff for a period of time or totally variable? If it’s fixed I presume I should lock it in pretty quick after 25th September to avoid the October increases. Does anyone know?

True. I’d rather keep hold of my current Octopus Go rates until they expire late September though. Hopefully there are no increases between now and then.
Someone told me they all generally up the prices a month or so before new caps are announced so may be better moving before, losing a few days at a lower rate may be better than having nearly a year at a higher rate!

Same boat for me. Octopus GO currently, expires 5th Sept. Have 2 electric cars 1 x M3SR+ and the wifes MG ZS EV. Ohme charger. Cheap charging on Go has been great.
Seems the rates they are quoting me to stay on Go are
our new Octopus Go prices
Peak unit rate: 40.04p / kWh
Off-peak unit rate: 7.50p / kWh
Standing charge: 47.88p / day

which is exactly the same as the IO
Unit rate (23:30 - 05:30):
7.50p/ kWh
Unit rate (05:30 - 23:30):
40.04p/ kWh
Standing Charge:

47.88p/ day

Seems like a no brainer to switch if I get 2 extra hours of lower rate ?

Has anyone done this switch already and know how long it takes? I don't want to switch now and lose 6 weeks of my Go rate

Same boat for me. Octopus GO currently, expires 5th Sept. Have 2 electric cars 1 x M3SR+ and the wifes MG ZS EV. Ohme charger. Cheap charging on Go has been great.

7.50p/ kWh
40.04p/ kWh
Standing Charge:

47.88p/ day

Has anyone done this switch already and know how long it takes? I don't want to switch now and lose 6 weeks of my Go rate
it takes few minutes to switch. there is another thread about IO.

IT IS a no brainer, because you usually get even more than 6 hrs of the off peak rates

7.50p/ kWh
40.04p/ kWh
Standing Charge:

47.88p/ day

I switched to IO a couple of weeks ago. You need to download the IO app, work through 3 or 4 steps, then connect your and perform a 10 minute test charge. Once that's done you will be switched over to IO. It really is painless switching, although I lost a month of cheaper Go access. Given the volatility in the market I was OK with paying that small price though.

If you qualify then it's a no-brainer. The peak and standing charge rates are the same as the new current Go rates. If you wantred a longer off-peak period then the new Go Faster rates are 8.25p per kWh, which is higher than IO AND the off-peak time is shorter on Go Faster. The only downside is that the cheap rate doesnt kick in until 23:30.

Thanks .
octopus tell me that after it's done the test you then have 30 days to accept conditions before the switch over happens. Is that correct?
Im not sure. I ended up activating it thew same day, thus losing a months worth of my existing Go Faster tariff. having said that, I think that the prices will increase, so I was keen to lock in the best possible price.

I move to IO a few weeks ago and all worked well to start with until I started to wake up to a tripped WallBox on regular occasions. So I have switched of the App and scheduled the charge from the M3. Seems to work well no trips for the last 3 nights… Anyone else has something similar?