Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intelligent supercharger routing FAIL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe the cars software tries to keep the minimum charge at 20%. So if you're arriving at your next supercharger with 19% charge (for example), it'll route you to a supercharger on the way for a 0minute charge. (the charging time is in increments of 5 minutes, and you obviously don't need 5 minutes of charging, so it probably rounds down to 0-minutes, anticipating that you'll charge for 1-2 minutes, and get to your next supercharger with 20+%).

Perhaps, but that isn't the only instance of 0 minute charging instructions. When I sent my 0 minute charge routing to Tesla last month they responded they are aware of the problem and are working on it. Even if that was the explanation, if you're going to bother stopping at a supercharger you're not going to leave after 1 minute and cut it that close. It would make more sense rounding up to 5 minutes than rounding down.

I believe the cars software tries to keep the minimum charge at 20%. So if you're arriving at your next supercharger with 19% charge (for example), it'll route you to a supercharger on the way for a 0minute charge. (the charging time is in increments of 5 minutes, and you obviously don't need 5 minutes of charging, so it probably rounds down to 0-minutes, anticipating that you'll charge for 1-2 minutes, and get to your next supercharger with 20+%).

In my example, I was arriving at my destination with something like 35% SOC, but it still wanted me to stop at the Supercharger for 0 minutes.

I had always assumed (when I saw the 0 minutes charge) that the algorithm looks at every charger along the route and calculates the charging time. Often it is 0 minutes, if not really needed. They should have then removed that supercharger from the route at that time in order to clean up, but they forgot to do that.

However, the fact its still doing it after multiple releases implies its more complicated

I had always assumed (when I saw the 0 minutes charge) that the algorithm looks at every charger along the route and calculates the charging time. Often it is 0 minutes, if not really needed. They should have then removed that supercharger from the route at that time in order to clean up, but they forgot to do that.

However, the fact its still doing it after multiple releases implies its more complicated

It's really not that complicated. They could include a kludge in the meantime "if supercharger time == 0mins, then remove supercharger from route and recalculate total route". Boom, it patches that one minor bug.

No, it showed 0 minutes at the only supercharger between the two cities and I did need to stop at it.

It's really not that complicated. They could include a kludge in the meantime "if supercharger time == 0mins, then remove supercharger from route and recalculate total route". Boom, it patches that one minor bug.

I'll bet it is as an earlier poster said: They leave it there in case your consumption is way worse than initially predicted so at least you have the option of stopping. It probably has recalculated the number of charging minutes by the time you get there too. If it was removed and the route re-calculated, and then you burned through way more energy and ran out before your destination, that wouldn't do much to alleviate anxiety!

I'll bet it is as an earlier poster said: They leave it there in case your consumption is way worse than initially predicted so at least you have the option of stopping. It probably has recalculated the number of charging minutes by the time you get there too. If it was removed and the route re-calculated, and then you burned through way more energy and ran out before your destination, that wouldn't do much to alleviate anxiety!

Out of curiosity I have a longer trip coming up in a few weeks, I'll try this --> navigate to the end destination, and if there's a 0-minute supercharger on the way, leave it there and see what happens as I approach it with enough juice to get to the next one. If that's the reason why, it should disappear and/or recalculate.

But alas, I don't think that's why it's left there and without Tesla's input, there's nothing we can but speculate*.

*They can easily recalculate the route if you're running low on charge. Google recalculates the route for me when it detects traffic. And while keeping a 0-minute surpercharger on a route where the supercharger is on the highway isn't a big deal, if I need to get off the highway and lose 5-10mins getting to/from the supercharger, the implementation is wasting my time.

I just keep pushing for the system to propose a selection of routes from which to select:
* minimum energy consumption or supercharger stops
* minimum driving time (considering traffic)
* minimum distance
* minimum tolls

I agree that the route with the most supercharger stops is probably not a useful route.

I'd also like the system to respond to going off route by putting up a dialog noting that I'm off course and asking if:
* you found a better route? => recalculate new route
* you need to find your way back to the route? => show me the way

Currently it assumes the latter and keeps trying to point me back to the departure point for a while until it gives up.

In my example, I was arriving at my destination with something like 35% SOC, but it still wanted me to stop at the Supercharger for 0 minutes.

Similar case here. I went to a friend's wedding shower last weekend 85 miles away from home. I left home with 230 rated miles. It wanted me to stop at the Supercharger in Charlotte (for 5 minutes) even though I had enough battery to not only make it to the destination, but to then turn around and come home while having 10% power left.

It should not be a surprise to anyone who as turned on and tried to use this feature that's a bust in the beta version. But it will improve I'm sure. If we had used this to supercharge our way across the country and back we probably would have added 1,500 miles and 3 extra days to the trip.

I don't think its "looking at every charger along the route." I think it only considers Superchargers as worthy.

In my case a month or so ago with 6.2 (2.4.239) the final destination 116 miles away was my home charger, had 155 or so range remaining in the battery but the fool algorithm was insisting that I detour to a Supercharger about 155 miles away arriving with -1%. If I had followed that route then after Supercharging I would still have been 130 miles from home with a perfectly good UMC. So 285 miles to get to a destination 116 miles away with 155 miles in the battery. "To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer."

I was driving and could only glance at the navigation controls once we realized the foolishness. My passenger had never pushed Tesla buttons and couldn't figure it out either. Guessing now there was a "remove Superchargers" button, but in a pinch I pushed the button I knew, "CANCEL". Drove the route from memory and street signs, just terrible hardship not having a computerized ETA!
:smile:

I don't think its "looking at every charger along the route." I think it only considers Superchargers as worthy.

In my case a month or so ago with 6.2 (2.4.239) the final destination 116 miles away was my home charger, had 155 or so range remaining in the battery but the fool algorithm was insisting that I detour to a Supercharger about 155 miles away arriving with -1%. If I had followed that route then after Supercharging I would still have been 130 miles from home with a perfectly good UMC. So 285 miles to get to a destination 116 miles away with 155 miles in the battery. "To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer."

I was driving and could only glance at the navigation controls once we realized the foolishness. My passenger had never pushed Tesla buttons and couldn't figure it out either. Guessing now there was a "remove Superchargers" button, but in a pinch I pushed the button I knew, "CANCEL". Drove the route from memory and street signs, just terrible hardship not having a computerized ETA!
:smile:

You could remove all supercharger stops. Click on Trip (next to cancel), and then right above Trip a button pops up saying "remove all superchargers" or something like that.

My car wanted me to skip a SC and arrive at the next one with negative 24% SOC. Luckily I come equipped with the "common sense" package and charged at the first SC anyway :)
03270903ba8d1030e32f4ba7895f9761.jpg