TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Intentional key lock-in

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by grichard, Nov 2, 2015.

1. grichard

grichard Member De-Luxe

My MS is in for service (buffing out a scuff on the bumper, alas).

I usually get done with work after the body shop closes. I'd like to pay them with a credit card over the phone, have them lock my key in the car, and go pick the car up later that evening. With a physical lock, this is easy. But... can they (or I) lock the car with a key fob inside it? If they pop the battery out of the key fob before putting it in the car, are they then able to lock the door?

How should I do this?

Thanks!

2. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

You might need to lock it remotely for them with your phone after they report that they've removed the battery and put the key fob in your car.

3. Beaker

Beaker Sig #997

They can drop the fob into the truck well. The car cannot detect it there.

4. benjiejr

benjiejr Technogeekextraordinaire

Last week the Ranger put my fob in the cup holder and sliding armrests over it then locked it remotely. I was able to use my phone app to unlock the car. Just make sure the car has good reception so you can reliably use your phone app to unlock. The Ranger said this location is just outside of the range of it's antenna and they do it frequently.

5. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

When my fob is in the trunk I can hold down the trunk release/open and it will open.

Not sure about the frunk, haven't tried that....

6. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

I note that when I walk up to my car with the key in my pocket, and I am behind the vehicle, the door handles don't always retract. However, if I touch the trunk unlock, it takes a moment, and then unlocks. This has caused me to surmise that upon the trunk unlock being touched, it sends out a more powerful signal looking for the key. If it finds it, it unlocks the trunk. If not, the trunk stays locked.

So putting the keys in the trunk is not a good idea if my theory is correct. The vehicle may lock, and the key may not be detected, but touching the unlock of the trunk may cause the key to be detected.

7. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Mine too (the trunk, that is). I've never been able to lock the key in my car, no matter the location I try. (I can't say I've tried the frunk, though.)

8. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

That's odd. I have dropped my key in the cup-holder occasionally and the car always detects it. I may not have slid it shut though...

9. muleferg

muleferg Member

#9 muleferg, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    Key in frunk, trunk, and in the cup holders will not keep it locked, I just tried it. Touch the handle and they come out. I took the key inside the house and it would not unlock.

10. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Hmm, guess we'll need a Faraday cage then to be sure ;)

11. muleferg

muleferg Member

Well I just tried this. . I wrapped it in alum foil. Bingo.... It want unlock

IMG_3539.jpg

12. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Nice, and that makes perfect sense!

13. grichard

grichard Member De-Luxe

Thanks for the help.

I assume that taking the battery out of the fob will keep the car from detecting it? So I can have them pop out the battery and put the fob in the car, then I can lock the car from the app. Right? Would that work?

14. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Awww, now you've gone and ruined your hat! :)

15. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Just be sure the car's console computer hasn't crashed before you do this. At least for our car and our Android phone apps, the car won't connect at least 10% of the time until we reboot the console.

16. CatB

CatB Member

FYI, this is a good trick at Cars'n'Coffee too. I like letting kids sit in the front seats and play with the touchscreen (easier than trying to tell the parents how to use the GUI), but I wrap the fob in foil, in case they touch the pedals.

17. steph280

steph280 Member

I thought cupholders are where the fob detectors are at. I recall somebody saying that's where you put the fob with dead battery in order for the car to detect it.

18. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

Locking the car remotely with your phone overrides the key in the car. I know this because when I went to the SC to drop off my car, they had a loaner parked upfront with the keys in it. The SC had to call Tesla to have them unlock it remotely. (We could not get in the car even though the key was in the car).

19. Duckjybe

Duckjybe S P232

#19 Duckjybe, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    All you have to do is leave key FOB in the car (cupholder or cubby), hold door open and manually hit the lock icon on centre console. Then get out and close door. It stays locked. This is the procedure service centre suggested.

20. deonb

deonb Active Member