Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intentional key lock-in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MS is in for service (buffing out a scuff on the bumper, alas).

I usually get done with work after the body shop closes. I'd like to pay them with a credit card over the phone, have them lock my key in the car, and go pick the car up later that evening. With a physical lock, this is easy. But... can they (or I) lock the car with a key fob inside it? If they pop the battery out of the key fob before putting it in the car, are they then able to lock the door?

How should I do this?

Thanks!

Last week the Ranger put my fob in the cup holder and sliding armrests over it then locked it remotely. I was able to use my phone app to unlock the car. Just make sure the car has good reception so you can reliably use your phone app to unlock. The Ranger said this location is just outside of the range of it's antenna and they do it frequently.

They can drop the fob into the truck well. The car cannot detect it there.

I note that when I walk up to my car with the key in my pocket, and I am behind the vehicle, the door handles don't always retract. However, if I touch the trunk unlock, it takes a moment, and then unlocks. This has caused me to surmise that upon the trunk unlock being touched, it sends out a more powerful signal looking for the key. If it finds it, it unlocks the trunk. If not, the trunk stays locked.

So putting the keys in the trunk is not a good idea if my theory is correct. The vehicle may lock, and the key may not be detected, but touching the unlock of the trunk may cause the key to be detected.

Last week the Ranger put my fob in the cup holder and sliding armrests over it then locked it remotely. I was able to use my phone app to unlock the car. Just make sure the car has good reception so you can reliably use your phone app to unlock. The Ranger said this location is just outside of the range of it's antenna and they do it frequently.

That's odd. I have dropped my key in the cup-holder occasionally and the car always detects it. I may not have slid it shut though...

Well I just tried this. . I wrapped it in alum foil. Bingo.... It want unlock

IMG_3539.jpg

Thanks for the help.

I assume that taking the battery out of the fob will keep the car from detecting it? So I can have them pop out the battery and put the fob in the car, then I can lock the car from the app. Right? Would that work?

Locking the car remotely with your phone overrides the key in the car. I know this because when I went to the SC to drop off my car, they had a loaner parked upfront with the keys in it. The SC had to call Tesla to have them unlock it remotely. (We could not get in the car even though the key was in the car).

All you have to do is leave key FOB in the car (cupholder or cubby), hold door open and manually hit the lock icon on centre console. Then get out and close door. It stays locked. This is the procedure service centre suggested.

Last edited: