Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interactions Between The Model S Enhanced Anti-theft Option And Sentry Mode And Other Systems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

berkeley_ecar

S 90D (fully loaded) delivered 18 Mar 2017
Jul 21, 2014
Berkeley, CA
I installed the "Model S Enhanced Anti-theft Option" several months ago. One issue with this add-on is that the window stickers accompanying the option are ridiculously small, so that they are sometimes lost/overlooked during installation (I only ended up with one of the two stickers), and even when installed inside a rear quarter-panel window, are barely noticeable. I have created more prominent enlarged stickers (which can be purchased here).

Another issue of note is that the "Anti-theft Option" does not cooperate with "Sentry Mode." When running under firmware version 2019.16.2, the "Safety & Security" section of the controls includes buttons titled "Security Alarm" and "Tilt/Intrusion," which control the "Anti-theft Option" features. There is also a "Sentry Mode" button; enabling this turns off the "Security Alarm" and "Tilt/Intrusion" options. This is illustrated by the accompanying photos of the MCU display. This suggests that you can use only one of these two security systems at a time.

2019_06_06_Sentry_Off.jpg 2019_06_06_Sentry_On.jpg

It is a pity that the two systems can not be used concurrently, as it would be helpful to be able to capture video from the car's cameras in conjunction with the "Enhanced Anti-theft Option." We can only hope that in a future software release, Tesla will allow the two systems to work together effectively.

Attachments

• 2019_06_06_Sentry_Off.jpg
    2019_06_06_Sentry_Off.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 2019_06_06_Sentry_On.jpg
    2019_06_06_Sentry_On.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I'm not too sure I follow as I see the same thing on my Model S with the Enhanced Theft system.

The second images shows that the feature is on, but the ability to turn to info has been disabled, meaning that the touch response has been disabled for the two items, however they are in the on position.

I see the same on my Model S with the enhanced Theft system.

Reactions: rickyjb
Aha (wiping egg from face) -- I see your point, zanary. :oops: When "Sentry Mode" is enabled, the "Security Alarm" and "Tilt/Intrusion" buttons are still in the On position, but grayed out and unresponsive to touch. Even further -- if you have manually disabled the "Security Alarm" and "Tilt/Intrusion" features, enabling "Sentry Mode" will turn them back on (but, again, in "grayed-out" mode, so that they are not changeable by touch). Presumably
this means that the "Enhanced Anti-theft Option" is always on when "Sentry Mode" is enabled. So I owe an apology to the software developers at Tesla, who have clearly thought this one out -- as well as thanks to zanary for pointing out my confusion. My confusion arose from eyesight issues -- I find that "grayed-out" items on the display are often difficult to make out clearly, and quickly assumed that these features had been disabled, rather then made unresponsive to change by touch -- a closer examination would have shown otherwise. I also note hierarchical behavior between the "Security Alarm" and "Tilt/Intrusion" buttons -- if you disable the "Security Alarm," button, the "Tilt/Intrusion" button is also turned off. However, you can disable just the "Tilt/Intrusion" button if the "Security Alarm" button is enabled.

I have not yet checked out the issues raised by jeffro01 relating to incompatibility between sentry and valet modes. I hope this is another misunderstanding, as I agree it would be good for them to interoperate.

However, I still find the window stickers for the "Enhanced Anti-theft Option" ridiculously small. :)

Agreed, just like how stupid it is that you can't be in valet mode and have sentry mode enabled... What if I want to lock out the glovebox while my X is parked but still use Sentry mode features? Can't do it... No logical reason why the features can't coexist...

Jeff

Yeah this really bothered me the first time I noticed it as well.

Seems it is all the more important to have the car monitored when you are now there. My solution when I give the car now to a valet is to enable speed limit mode and set that to 50. Prevents speeding and the car is locked in chill mode.

Unfortunately you get none of the other benefits of Valet mode :(

Wish they enabled Sentry on Valet mode.

• Love
Reactions: jeffro01