Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interactive Tesla Model 3 design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jetpax

Aug 3, 2017
here
I created this spreadsheet to help me design some EV conversion projects, but it can be used to fill in the blanks to infer missing Model 3 specs from known public data.

upload_2017-8-3_17-27-35.png

I've assumed a slightly more conservative max motor RPM than the S, viz 16000RPM, which implies a final drive ratio of 9.34:1 on the 19" wheels for 140mph top speed.

Also implies a motor torque of about 330Nm, motor power ~ 225kW for a 5.5s 0-60.

Battery must be around 60kWh for drag of 0.23 and frontal area of 1.9 (cf BMW model 3) assuming same tyre .

Battery needs about 30 2170 cells in parallel to get a 4C 600A+ discharge rate required by the accel curve

Kept the modules /pack at 96 to maintain the same motor voltage cf the Model S

Predicts a 0-100 mph time of ~11s, and about 24s to reach 140.

Make a copy of the sheet and have a play, see what you can find out!

Thanks , adjusted the Final Drive ratio to 10:1 for now.

Seems likely that the speed limitation is in software.

16K RPM 130
17K RPM 140
18K RPM 150?

As long as there is enough battery power to drive it.

Jetpax,
Nice!

I'm curious, how did you calculate max power ?

It's based on having sufficient torque to meet the published accel figures whilst having sufficient power to meet the top speed numbers

The spreadsheet lets you play with the numbers until you get a reasonable set, with a torque curve that looks right (see the working data sheet)

The max RPM and final drive ratio are based on Model S numbers...

It's quite a lot of guess work at this stage, but if you plug in the actual known Model S numbers, the model is not far off....

When we know the 0-100 accel time we'll be able to get a closer approximation

Updated the simulation following release of Model 3 battery info.

upload_2017-8-24_9-37-57.png

Model confirms 2170 nominal cell capacity is 4750mAh using published range for M3 LR.

With this capacity, standard M3 range will be closer to 200 miles than 220 miles, so presumably there is a future cell capacity improvement (after switching production from Panasonic???).

To hit 220 miles, 2170 cell capacity would need to be ~5200mAh, which if achieved would give the long range model a boost to ~85kWh