Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interested in 3rd row seat ventilation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The sunshade was $90 down the drain!! If I don't get enough air circulated in the cabin before we go it's so warm back there it causes my daughter to throw up! And we live in seattle area so it's not THAT hot. So right now they've been riding in the he middle seats during really warm days until I can get some crystalline on the he windows.

The low tech trick I've been using is to keep an eye on my kid's hair in the rear view mirror, then roll both rear windows down until I see hair on the top of their heads fly around. Usually is about 1 1/2" to 2" rolled down. Not ideal, but I did a 1200km road trip with no complaints.

Tinting wasn't enough, so I got the sun shade. Even with the sunshade it wasn't enough unless I roll down the windows.

I'll try the portable fans, but don't want stuff cluttering the interior. :)

What do you do if it's very hot outside? (Meaning need to use the A/C)
The low tech trick I've been using is to keep an eye on my kid's hair in the rear view mirror, then roll both rear windows down until I see hair on the top of their heads fly around. Usually is about 1 1/2" to 2" rolled down. Not ideal, but I did a 1200km road trip with no complaints.

Tinting wasn't enough, so I got the sun shade. Even with the sunshade it wasn't enough unless I roll down the windows.

I'll try the portable fans, but don't want stuff cluttering the interior. :)

I implemented a solution that works great for me, using the void behind the kids seats. This is the first version. I've since replaced the 4" white duct with 3" black duct, which fits, works, and looks much better. I'll post pics of the v2 implementation soon.

Air circulator - Imgur

I love the innovation! I can also relate to the sparkles/glitter having two girls myself.
As for my project, this summer has kind of gotten in the way of finishing it. However, the kids go back to school in a few weeks and my daytime hours should have more time to experiment.

This is the one clear design flaw that should embarrass Tesla. Clearly the jump seats were an afterthought and primarily a marketing thing, because in the two years since Model S has been shipping Tesla has done NOTHING to address this issue. Absolutely nothing. When kids are throwing up and getting red faces because of the completely, utterly stupid, dumb omission of not putting a vent back there, that's a problem. If I had purchased these seats and had my kids put in that type of situation where they got sick or were extremely uncomfortable, I would not only be demanding a refund from Tesla but I would also be filing a complaint with NHTSA.

Sorry, I don't give Tesla any wiggle room when it comes to child safety. None.

@ampedrealator I agree. Every time I hear someone complain about the stupid visors and how small they are and how we should have lighted mirrors on hyphen yada yada yada I think oh ya. How about cents for my kids in bathe back...where they get sick...you and your lighted vanity mirrors...(and no I'm not looking to pick a fight here) just stating a point.

I implemented a solution that works great for me, using the void behind the kids seats. This is the first version. I've since replaced the 4" white duct with 3" black duct, which fits, works, and looks much better. I'll post pics of the v2 implementation soon.

Air circulator - Imgur

Zarwin--great idea. It would be nice to get something for the end of the duct work that protrudes above the seat that kind of finished it off a bit. After some quick googling I found this, which is sort of what I have in mind, but I am envisioning something with a wider, narrower opening.

Amazon.com: Universal Off Road Snorkel Rolling Head Air Ram 3 77mm 4x4: Automotive

Or maybe something like this:

Pegasus - Medium NACA Duct, Single Hose

Just a follow up, added pictures of the setup after changing out the blower and duct to be 3". The duct now extends out the other side of the seat since my son asked for this so he could point it at himself for "rapid cooling".

And yes, I'd like to add something to the ends of the duct to make them look better, but for now I'm still tweaking the best configuration. Later I'll work on the ends.

Air circulator - Imgur

NcDxzlg.jpg

How about some square duct along the edges of the parcel shelf? Each could have their own fan. The duct would be one straight piece and could side vent to circulate air from the back of the cabin forward towards the seats...
I don't have an S and I don't know if this would work. I REALLY hope they are paying more attention to this in the Model X (three separate sets of vents, one for each row)!

This is the one clear design flaw that should embarrass Tesla. Clearly the jump seats were an afterthought and primarily a marketing thing, because in the two years since Model S has been shipping Tesla has done NOTHING to address this issue. Absolutely nothing. When kids are throwing up and getting red faces because of the completely, utterly stupid, dumb omission of not putting a vent back there, that's a problem. If I had purchased these seats and had my kids put in that type of situation where they got sick or were extremely uncomfortable, I would not only be demanding a refund from Tesla but I would also be filing a complaint with NHTSA.

Sorry, I don't give Tesla any wiggle room when it comes to child safety. None.

Has there been any improvement on the quality of air flow to the third row seating??

To me the air flow towards the 3rd row seems fine when you turn on the fresh air ventilation on. The air flows between the headrests of the 2nd row seats--I can feel it clearly with my hands there. I have a March 2015 delivery so I don't know if the new builds are better.

To me the air flow towards the 3rd row seems fine when you turn on the fresh air ventilation on. The air flows between the headrests of the 2nd row seats--I can feel it clearly with my hands there. I have a March 2015 delivery so I don't know if the new builds are better.

In the cold, cold land of Canadia, it's probably fine in the summer. Here in Texas, not so much. The middle row vents pointed up on full blast, even with recirc on, provides only a suggestion of cool air to the third row.

The MS gets better airflow when set to fresh air and not recirculate. But yes, the ventilation could be better in the second row. Don't get me started on the 3rd row. I'm hopeful the model X will not have these problems. They might even use two completely separate heat pumps and offer "4 zone" heating/cooling.

Wanted to also note one thing with the fresh air/re-circulate options. Yes 'fresh air' pushes the air into the 3rd row better but if the air temp outside is 100+ degrees, the air coming out of the vents isn't nearly as cold as it would be on re-circulate. I don't really have an answer or suggestion here, just wanted to note that the fresh air option doesn't fix all. I use re-circulate with the air blower to get the air cold and in the proper place.

Without an additional air blower, I guess the best option would be to run re-circulate and cool the car down before getting in, and then switch to fresh air to push the cold air back there.

The worst issue I ran into was trying to cool the car (with 6 people in it) right after supercharging using the fresh air option in 100 degree weather (before I added the air blower/duct system). Since I had just supercharged, the A/C compressor was also cooling the battery for the first 10-15 minutes of travel so not much left to cool the cabin. Not fun for that part of the trip.

Here is my solution to the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] row (lack of) ventilation. Inspiration came directly from Zarwin. It's basically the same thing, except with a controller to allow me to control the speed of the fan and a smaller hose.
IMG_6183.JPG

As you can see, the lengths and attachments for the hose need improvement. I'll get to that in later iterations.

Here is an abbreviated description of what I did. If this works out well over time and there is interest, I am happy to give more details. I'm already looking into a better controller and other improvements.

Parts:
- 3 inch in-line blower fan: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O0DE9E
- shop-vac 2.5” vacuum hose: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004RHKV
- 12V extension cord (12’): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Z0HVHA
- 12V lighter plug: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016LG0CY
- Heat shrink tubing, such as: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IMNV0L0
- Heat gun, such as: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004TUCV
- PWM DC motor controller: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUQE9FE Note this one has a reversing switch, which isn't useful in this case.
I chose to use a 2.5” vacuum hose instead of 3” ID duct hose since I felt it looked less ‘instrusive’ than the hose used by Zarwin.

Abbreviated Instructions for what I did:
1. Wired the fan to the 12V lighter plug. The above lighter plug has easy crimp connectors. Before connecting, put the heat shrink tubing over each wire and the pair of wires. Then use the heat gun on the heat shrink tubing. End result are shown here.
IMG_6137.JPG

2. At this point, I tested out the blower fan to ensure it worked, before connecting the motor controller.
3. To connect the motor controller, I cut the 12V extension cord about 6-8” from the male plug. Then stripped back the wires and connected it up to the motor controller. I intended for the fan to be controlled by the driver/front seat passenger. For older kids, the control can be placed in the 3rd row.
IMG_6181.JPG

Here is the controller sitting near the 12V plug in the center console.
IMG_6179.JPG

4. To connect the vacuum hose to the blower, I picked up a short piece of 3” PVC pipe, and two 3”-2” reducers. The shop-vac hose fits nicely inside of the reducer. Basically, I wandered around home depot to find a combination that fit. If this works on a more permanent basis, I can glue the connectors in place or hopefully find a less clunky connector. To secure the tubing in place, I just used a bit of drawer liner material to make a snug fit.
5. Route the cable to the rear. For now, it just runs from the center console, on top of the 2nd row seat, between the break in the 2nd row seat back, and to the 3rd row. I may try to route it under the 2nd row seats in the future. Here is the pump sitting behind the 2nd row. The intent is that I can leave the motor controller and 12V extension cord in place almost all the time, but be able to remove the motor and hoses if the 3rd row seats are not in use.
IMG_6185.JPG

I've also set up a wireless temperature monitor so that I can see the temperature back there, and have a sense of how well this thing works and when I need to turn it on/up. I'll test over the coming days/weeks and see how it works.

I'm somewhat surprised that in the two years since Tesla's email on the subject, we've had the Ds, the Next Gen and even Executive Rear seats but afaik no official manufactured solution for air con provision at/to the third row.

Credit to tomp and others for their ingenuity.

ETA Looking through this thread there does seem to be some unused space at the back. Maybe.

Last edited: